Author Topic: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please  (Read 87063 times)

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Map of St Kentigern's Cemetery, 951 Balmore Road, Glasgow please
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 17:27 GMT (UK) »
The Family History section in the Mitchell Library has the burials for St Kentigern's.  Assuming you know a date of death you can visibly examine the records which are in date order and look through the days after the death.   That will give you the lair number and location.

Thank you so much for the information, very much appreciated!
Jay
Pollock, Thomson, Kane, Hutton, Johnston, McGeehan, Sweeney Moan, Patterson, Gilchrist, Davidson, Silver, Neilson, Porterfield, Meyrick

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 17:33 GMT (UK) »
The Family History section in the Mitchell Library has the burials for St Kentigern's.  Assuming you know a date of death you can visibly examine the records which are in date order and look through the days after the death.   That will give you the lair number and location.

Thank you so much for the information, very much appreciated!
Jay

You are very welcome.  Since I replied to your earlier post I found a lot of info for St Kentigerns on FamilySearch.   See my posts on p 16 of this thread.  If you have a date of death you should be able to find it on those records.  If you give me a name and date I can have a quick look .

Andrew

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Following some help I received via this thread I accessed the non indexed images on line at FamilySearch.   Most records for St Kentigern's are available, but there are four films not yet uploaded online.    I have made a request via FS for these to be scanned and put online.  No guarantee it will happen tho I cannot see copyright or privacy being an issue as more recent records are already available on FS.   If they appear I will post on here.

Requested records :-
Daily interment books, 1882-July 1909, British Film 1574797
Daily interment books, July 1909-March 1926, British Film 1574798
Daily interment books, March 1926-September 1943, British Film, 1574799
Daily interment books, September 1943-July 1967, British Film, 1574805

Andrew

Just an update.   The remaining films have now been digitised by FamilySearch and are online
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1321853?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Andrew

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Thursday 14 February 19 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Andrew but I have absolutely no idea how to search these records...think I must be missing something!!  If your kind offer still stands my grandmothers name is Bridget Johnston died 18 December 1954. Many thanks in advance.

Jay
Pollock, Thomson, Kane, Hutton, Johnston, McGeehan, Sweeney Moan, Patterson, Gilchrist, Davidson, Silver, Neilson, Porterfield, Meyrick

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Thursday 14 February 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Andrew but I have absolutely no idea how to search these records...think I must be missing something!!  If your kind offer still stands my grandmothers name is Bridget Johnston died 18 December 1954. Many thanks in advance.

Jay

I have sent you a PM with the links to the images.

Andrew

Offline nissank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Thursday 14 February 19 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Following some help I received via this thread I accessed the non indexed images on line at FamilySearch.   Most records for St Kentigern's are available, but there are four films not yet uploaded online.    I have made a request via FS for these to be scanned and put online.  No guarantee it will happen tho I cannot see copyright or privacy being an issue as more recent records are already available on FS.   If they appear I will post on here.

Requested records :-
Daily interment books, 1882-July 1909, British Film 1574797
Daily interment books, July 1909-March 1926, British Film 1574798
Daily interment books, March 1926-September 1943, British Film, 1574799
Daily interment books, September 1943-July 1967, British Film, 1574805

Andrew

Just an update.   The remaining films have now been digitised by FamilySearch and are online
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1321853?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Andrew
hi I can get the lair records on familysearch but just wondered if you could tell me is there a quick way of getting to what you want rather than search all  the pages one by one many thanks

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Friday 15 February 19 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The records are not indexed so there is no search facility as such.  However, if you have a date, or even a year for a death it's actually quite easy to locate.   Simply study the description of each film in the catalog summary  here https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1321853?availability=Family%20History%20Library and determine which film it will be on.   Some films are daily burial records and some are Lair registers that show all burials in that lair.  Start with the daily interments.   If you view the film using the "multiple image " option ( at left hand side of page ),  you will see occasional black separators, these give the contents of the following section of the film which is usually split into groups of years, so you can quickly jump through say 50 / 100 pages at a time to find the section and locate the year and the record within the year.  They are in chronological order.     Remember these are BURIAL dates, so you need to check a few days beyond the date of death or even more.  For example, I had an uncle killed in action in WW2, so it was 4 weeks later before his body was repatriated for burial.

Sorry if that seems like "teaching granny to suck eggs ".      Hope it helps, but if you get stuck PM me and I'll see if I can help.

Andrew     

Offline nissank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Friday 15 February 19 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The records are not indexed so there is no search facility as such.  However, if you have a date, or even a year for a death it's actually quite easy to locate.   Simply study the description of each film in the catalog summary  here https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1321853?availability=Family%20History%20Library and determine which film it will be on.   Some films are daily burial records and some are Lair registers that show all burials in that lair.  Start with the daily interments.   If you view the film using the "multiple image " option ( at left hand side of page ),  you will see occasional black separators, these give the contents of the following section of the film which is usually split into groups of years, so you can quickly jump through say 50 / 100 pages at a time to find the section and locate the year and the record within the year.  They are in chronological order.     Remember these are BURIAL dates, so you need to check a few days beyond the date of death or even more.  For example, I had an uncle killed in action in WW2, so it was 4 weeks later before his body was repatriated for burial.

Sorry if that seems like "teaching granny to suck eggs ".      Hope it helps, but if you get stuck PM me and I'll see if I can help.

Andrew   
[/quote    hi Andrew thank you very much I will try this very kind of you to explain]

Offline nissank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Saturday 16 February 19 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Andrew   
[/quote    hi Andrew thank you very much I will try this very kind of you to explain]
hi thank you very much Andrew for your help  it made it much easier to search