Author Topic: The Children Who Built Victorian Britain  (Read 1585 times)

Online andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
The Children Who Built Victorian Britain
« on: Sunday 06 February 11 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Just came across this on iPlayer, I missed the actual transmission.

All of us have ancestors who worked in what we would now call childhood. The programme looks at how children were employed, and more interestingly, what their attitudes were to their employment.

Only around on iPlayer until 8th Feb, so download it soon if you can.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: The Children Who Built Victorian Britain
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 11 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I saw the original transmission.  It was very interesting, but I wasn't too keen on the 'Watch with Mother' approach.  Why do they have to dumb everything down?

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Children Who Built Victorian Britain
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 February 11 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Think it's maybe aimed at showing in schools  or perhaps the pictures were from childrens drawings that had been animated  :-\

Other than those bits I quite enjoyed the programme and had never thought of some of the points - children being one reason for successful industrial age and when they had grown up being responsible for the changes in employment laws and start of schools. At least that's the impression the presenter gave me  :)

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe