Author Topic: David McKay  (Read 5587 times)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
David McKay
« on: Sunday 06 February 11 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi looking for family info for a David McKay of Oldmeldrum . b 1880 ish. Occupation possibly a Game dealer or Fishmonger

Thanks

deebel
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: David McKay
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get his birthplace and birthyear from?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 February 11 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Carole

From his granddaughter who never knew him. Her father was David McKay too.
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 February 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
There is no census entry between 1881-1901 that matches his profile

Her father was David McKay too.

Re: David jnr - when was he born
What was his mothers name and maiden name

Do you have a copy of  his parents marriage cert which would give David seniors parents name including his mothers maiden name
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 February 11 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Carole,
Do not have any certificates etc.

Further information i have been able to obtain.

The spelling is debatable as I have seen a cutting of a photograph of a shopfront in Urquhart St with David Mackay above noting two girls in the foreground Mary (Polly) and Adeline (Daughters).

Mckay has definitely been used since. David (Snr) wife not known. Family David, Lizzie Jane(died young) Adeline, Mary aka Polly, Margaret, Archie and George. (George was said to have been a POW in WW1 shot trying to escape)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 February 11 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There are many census entries for David McKay - MacKay but they were not born in Old Meldrum

Searching the 1891 census for David - no surname or birthyear - just birthplace Old Meldrum - throws up only 4 entries and the youngest was b 1869 - none were surname MacKay/McKay

If you search on David McKay b 1875-1885 - you get 53 matches of which only 2 were b Aberdeen.  One in Old Machar b 1877 and the other b Aberdeen 1884 but is shown as David S (sister)

Using the same birthyears but surname MacKay shows 27 entries - none b Aberdeen

You really need those certificates as there is too little information known about him to find any positive info

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole. Will need to get more specific info.

Offline drystane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
The David McKay you were seeking information about was my Great- Grandfather. I would be delighted to help if you need any further info. He was born in Inverness.

Offline Douglas BRAND

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 03:35 BST (UK) »
David McKay was my grandfather died in oldmeldrum 1948 aged 83 born in northern Ireland
left when he was about 7 -----------wife's name was Mary Stuart