Author Topic: John Grieve McCreath did he go to Canada c 1920  (Read 10729 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Grieve McCreath did he go to Canada c 1920
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 September 11 04:49 BST (UK) »
Just heard from a relative but not sure if will join in here. Not everyone wants to join the forums...but we shall see! Apparently he designed the first floral clock for Westmount Park! Wonder if this is it on a postcard?
Unmarked but says 30 off to the right  http://s.ecrater.com/stores/57382/4bcf82ee5c798_57382b.jpg
postmarked 1938
http://www.careyspostcards.com/8357-11455-thickbox/westmount-park-flower-clock-montreal-postcard.jpg
c. 1950s http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Montreal-Quebec-Floral-Clock-at-Westmount-Park-1950s-/350490300937?
c. 1961 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Postcard-Montreal-QC-Westmount-Park-FLORAL-CLOCK-1961-/400003486518
More recently planted clock
http://www.featurepics.com/online/Westmount-Park-Floral-Clock-Pictures134542.aspx
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 October 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J.

I do hope his descendant does contact you again as Johns gg grandfather was the brother of my gg grandfather and his

gg grandmother was the sister of my gg grandmother . Two brothers married to two sisters.

They all  were born in Ayrshire Scotland and  their ancestors were all fisherman. My own g grandmother was a " line baiter".

I'm keeping my fingers crossed you hear from them.

Jessie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 October 11 19:39 BST (UK) »
Have sent contact information by p.m.  ;D Hopefully you can help her with her problem making connections...
Maybe you can convince her to sign up and join in the online hunts
 ;D  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 October 11 19:57 BST (UK) »

Thank you J.J. I have emailed and will keep you posted.

Jessie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 October 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Jessie let her know I have posted 4 images of the floral clock back on page one....( have added 3 more) as this would be of interest to her as well.  She may want to purchase the postcards!!! If they issued a postcard every decade or so, the first one may have been done by him, although not likely the first creation was caught on camera...   
Also there may be some information for you here: http://www.westmounthistorical.org/archives.htmlJ.J.

Offline David72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 October 11 01:20 BST (UK) »
I am posting on behalf of my Mother, K.H. McCreath. She found these forums, and this thread doing a random google search. I'm not sure why, but she has been unable to create an account, so I have create one instead.

My mother was born in 1946. Her father was Robert McCreath. Sadly, her mother left her at a young age and then her father left. She last saw him at age 10.  She was lovingly raised by her godmother (not a blood relative). Her father was estranged from the family, and my mother knows very little about them. One of the few things she does remember is that her grandfather (who died before she was born) was a gardener and was somehow involve with the first floral clock for Westmount Park.

I can also confirm that both John and his wife Sarah are buried in Lakeview Cemetery in Pointe Claire. I live right down the road from this cemetery and never knew that I had family there.

Offline David72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 October 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
My mother would love to find out additional details about the McCreath family.

Offline David72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 October 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
E-mails received. Will be in touch soon. Thanks

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 October 11 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      I am also related to John Grieve McCreath . His g and my gg grandmother were sisters born in Ayrshire Scotland.

I did PM you but I wondered if you had received it  since I have not heard from you.

I would be delighted to help you with your research with this family.

Regards,

suzilad