Author Topic: Florence Victoria Tames - MIA in Canada  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Stoodly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Florence Victoria Tames - MIA in Canada
« on: Tuesday 08 February 11 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Greetings, I have quite a lot of information about Florence V Tames a widow (nee Mounsher) and her life in Somerset in England but I am keen to know what happened to her after she emigrated to Canada in 1921. She was born in 1897.

According to the passenger lists on Ancestry she arrived at St John, New Brunswick on 10th March 1921 on the Metagama (but am intersted to know why her name has a line through it on the register????).

According to the Canada, Ocean Arrivals (Form 30a), 1919-1924 she states that she is going to live with her sister Selina "Lena" Hopkins (nee Mounsher) and brother-in-law William Edward Hopkins of Dartford Ontario. I have also seen William and Lena's marriage certificate courtesy of Ancestry.

Specifically would like to know, if possible, if she re-married and had any children in Canada and when and where she died.
Kind regards and thanks

Stoodly

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Victoria Tames - MIA in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 12:34 GMT (UK) »
A line through someone's name on a passenger lists often means they were ticketed but did not embark.

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/001045/CANIMM1913PLIST_2000908421/CANIMM1913PLIST_2000908421-00562.jpg
 - I don't see a line through her name here (this is the Metagama, but date on the Canadian site is given as 1st March not 10th).
It is possible she was in a different place in the manifest, was crossed out there and moved to the appropriate section.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stoodly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JR, I have every reason to believe that she did go to Canada so thanks for that new record. Interesting to see that she is listed as Florence JAMES rather than Tames.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 18:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage 18 Feb 1924 at Toronto, Ontario between
Victoria Florence Tames (ancestry indexed it as James), 25, b. England, widow, d/o James Mouncher, mother's name not known, occupation maid, living at 128 St. George St. at time of marriage to
Edwin Wilston Pett, 38, b. Toronto, s/o William Wilfrid Pett and Margaret Whitney, widower, occupation driver.
Witnesses were Jean and Wilfred Pett of Toronto

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I would be flexible as to the first name of Mr. Pett. 
Two places on the marriage registration it looks like Edwin and in another place it looks like it was entered as Edward.  His birth registration seems to be under Edmund and on the census with his parents he is Edward.  His first marriage is under Edwd and the birth registration of his daughter Verna Bernice in 1910 shows his name as Edward and his wife's as Louise (Greenwood).  The 1910 birth shows his occupation as milkman (his father's occupation) so the 1924 designation as driver might also fit that category.

You could ask the Toronto Public Library (via email) for a lookup in their city directories to find out if they stayed in the Toronto area.  If that proves to be the case you could take out a short subscription to the Toronto Star archived papers "Pages of the Past".  Births past 1911 are not publically available in Ontario.  If you wanted to follow this family forward this is probably a good source for BMDs

Debbie

Offline Stoodly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cosmac, that is her! I will follow your advice and contact the Toronto State Library.

Offline hoppy55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 August 12 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Just found your inquiry about Florence. I am the granddaughter of Lena Hopkins (nee Mounsher), Florence's sister. I am most interested in the Mounsher history, so any info you could share would be wonderful.
I can tell you that I knew Aunt Flo for a few short years as she died around 1960 in Toronto...I have the obit somewhere and will try to find it...also 1 photo of her and Uncle Ted Pett. As far as I know they always lived in Toronto. They did not have any children but did adopt a son...I can't remember his name but my father may know. I have dabbled a bit in research and you may be interested to know, that after the death of Flo and Lena's father, Lena, at the age of 9 (born1899) was sent to Barnardo Homes and thence off to Canada in 1911 at the age of 11. She kept in touch with Flo and her emigration to Canada may have been influenced by the family connection.

Offline Stoodly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 August 12 14:53 BST (UK) »
Greetings hoppy55 and great to hear from you.

I tried to PM you but it failed as your inbox is full????????

I posted here last year when I was doing research for the Australian television series "Who Do You Think You Are?" you may be familiar with this show as there was a Canadian version a few years ago. In case you are not (you can Google it) it is a program in which celebrities go in search of their ancestry.

Anyrate, your family history it is not my personal family history but that of the Australian actress Melissa George who I was researching. Please reply if you are interested in me passing on your contact details to Melissa's family. I am pretty sure that they would like to hear from you and connect some further ancestral dots.

Please be aware however that The Thames family story is a very sad one and quite confronting.

Our film was broadcast in Australia earlier this year, so if you PM me your address I will send you a copy of our film.

Please do so soonest as I am about to leave this TV show and move onto another project.

With kind regards

Diana

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 August 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
Great to see a connection made! Welcome to RootsChat hoppy55  :).

Hoppy55 needs to make 3 posts on here prior to being able to use the private message (PM) system, even if just to say "hello" (RootsChat policy).

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada