Author Topic: Stone Quarry pub Duston  (Read 13036 times)

Offline Twojugs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stone Quarry pub Duston
« on: Tuesday 08 February 11 14:36 GMT (UK) »
I have found that my wife's family (the Wrights and the Perkins) ran the Stone Quarry pub in Duston around 1900. I would welcome any information anyone may have  about this pub.
Thanks

Tony Johnson

Offline oldwhitefrog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Quarry pub Duston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 11 06:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm not familiar with that name, even though I lived in Duston.
Is the information from the census.  Does it say what the address was?
Debbie

Offline oldwhitefrog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 March 11 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Found it on 1901 - the Stone Quarries Inn, publican Thomas Perkins.  As it is near the Rifle Butt I think it would be the Quarry Arms which is on the corner of Port Road & Quarry Road and is now the Post Office.
Debbie

Offline Twojugs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 11 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replies. Yes, it is now a post office, and we have been back to see it. This is an early photo of the Stone Quarry, with perhaps the Perkins family?

Anyone know when it stopped being a pub? It now seems that two branches of my wife's family owned it, The Perkins and the Wrights.

Tony

Offline oldwhitefrog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 11 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Love the picture. Still a pub in 1911 - in the name of Wright

Offline Graham GPHS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 December 12 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Stumbled upon this fantastic picture by chance. I live on Port Road, just along from the Post Office in question.  The doors to the pub cellar are still there in the pavement.  The quarry (now a housing estate called Duston Wildes) was still  there, but abandoned, when we moved here in 1978.  The local kids called it the old treaclemine.  I have started keeping bees, and have named my honey 'Old Treaclemine' to preserve the legend! There is still a family of Wrights living on Port Road.  Any connection I wonder? Graham

Offline Graham GPHS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 December 12 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Further, the family we bought our house from were Johnsons.  Is the original poster Tony Johnson related?

Offline Chris Perkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Perkins was my great-great grandfather. Born in 1837 and died 1905. He married Sarah Keen who died in 1923.
Thomas Perkins was originally a sewing machine manufacturer before he became an inn-keeper. at the Stone Quarries pub in New Duston.
 I'm not sure what the relationship with the Wright family was.

Offline Chris Perkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 February 20 09:48 GMT (UK) »
The Stone Quarry Inn was situated on the corner of Port Rd and Quarry Rd in Duston, Northampton.    The shop, originally called the Stone Quarry, was built in 1862 and was opened as a beer house run by John Henry and William Smith.  It was known as ‘Smith’s’ beer house for its first twenty years, finally becoming the Stone Quarry in 1882.   Lucy, William’s widow, took over the licence in 1885 and appointed a number of landlords to run the pub in her name.
In 1914, the Licencing Authority decided that having three pubs (the Hare & Hounds and Rifle Butt were the other two) in such close proximity were too many as they calculated that there was one pub for every 110 houses in the area. As the Stone Quarry did the least trade, that was the one that had its licence withdrawn. £545 compensation was paid out and it ceased trading on the 15th August 1914.
 It had since 1902, been trading with part of the building being used as a grocery shop/post office and that continued to trade for over a century, closing down in 2016. It opened it’s doors once more in February 2018 as Smith’s barber shop.