Author Topic: cryptic notes in the India Office and Burma Office List  (Read 5796 times)

Offline whitehound

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: cryptic notes in the India Office and Burma Office List
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm fairly sure he was "the" Chief Inspector.  This was Langford Francis Allen Rae, aka Frank Langford Rae, and as far as I've been able to ascertain he was the first cousin of my grandfather Bertram Langford Denis Rae.  Bertram's father Denis Wilmot Rae was also a District Super, and his first wife, my un-maternal grandmother, was Ethel Maud Shirran who later finished up as the Kazini Elisa Maria Dorgi Khangsarpa of Sikkim.

I'f doing a website about my father's family - it's at www.whitehound.co.uk/family - with a view to later doing a book about Elisa Maria: I'm working on the page about Bertram at the moment.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating family history.  8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whitehound

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 23:27 GMT (UK) »
"Weird" would also be appropriate, at least for the bits involving Ethel Maud.