Author Topic: Francis  (Read 27345 times)

Offline Jutta1709

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 September 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Rg

Can I introduce myself as another member of the UK Francis Clan!!

Like Angela I also trace back  (with the help of Angela and a few others) to Henry Francis 1804.  He is my g-g-g-grandfather. He had 5 sons

Charles b. 1822 (my g-g-grandfather)
Thomas b. 1828
Solomon b.1831
Isaac b. 1839
Henry b. 1841

Charles  1822, married Catherine Maguire in 1849 and they went on to have 7 children

Henry b 1849
Thomas b.1851
Charles b. 1856 (my g-grandfather)
Isaac b. 1859
John b. 1862
Isabella b. 1865
James b.1868

Charles 1856 married Margaret Anne Smith (not traveller Smiths) in 1896, sneaking suspicion this may have been his second marriage.  They went on to have 3 sons

Charles b. 1893
James William b. 1895 (my grandfather)
Thomas b. 1898

Margaret went on to marry a second time to Thomas Leake in 1904 and was listed as a widow on the marriage certificate. She then moved to Edinburgh with her son Thomas whose name was changed to Leake and went on to have 4 children with Thomas Leake senior.

Charles 1893 died in Edinburgh in 1918 aged 24, he was listed as a war pensioner and cause of death was chest/lung related so I surmise it was the trench warfare that did for him.

Thomas 1898 died in 1916 in Egypt in the military campaign there.

James William 1895 married Margaret Murphy in 1919, they went on to have 7 children

Margaret  1920 -1948
James 1922-1994
Aileen 1928-2006
Catherine1930-2007
Charles 1932 - to date
Thomas 1937- 1995 (my father)
John 1938-1939

If you find any of this useful please let me know.  I am finding the info you have posted facinating

Kind regards

Jutta

Offline Rg3n30l0gy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 September 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Jutta,

Thank you very much for your information.  Charles Francis isn't nearly as unusual a name as I thought it was.  I'm such a slow typist, I sometimes wish I could talk with people over the phone about their ancestry.  Sometimes it seems like it would be much easier.

After 50 years of researching my family, what a surprise it is to know that there are at least two others that are researching what seems to be the same family.  I guess the first thing I need to do is make sure we are writing about the same Francis family.  You and Angelahutch have added so much to the pot.

Angelahutch is writing about Irish Travellers.  I don't even know what Irish Travellers are.  You mentioned a Gypsy Rose Lee.  The only Gypsy Rose Lee I know was in burlesque in America.  A movie was actually made about her life.  Is an Irish Traveller what Europeans refer to as a traveling burlesque performer?

Let me review my Francis family notes and what you have written in your emails. 

One question that's popping into my mind is, how many Francis families were living in Wexford, Ireland in the 1840's?  It would certainly make a difference if their were a hundred or one.  Sometimes when I look at census records here in the United States, I feel many questions are answered when there is only one family living in an area with my family's surname.  That has occurred over and over again, especially when I'm searching a family that lived in the mid-1800s.

If Angelahutch reads this post, I want to thank her for letting me know where she lives.  In return, I'll just say, "I live in Kentucky in the USA."

Please keep in touch.

Offline angelahutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 September 11 05:56 BST (UK) »
Well all I can say is that when researching my other part of my family tree that I thought the same thing that maybe more than one with the same name but found out that they where all connected in such a small community, so the Francis family from Wexford most certainly would be connected.

All I do know is that my Henry Francis's father Thomas was still alive when his son got married in 1862.

Angela

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 March 12 20:41 GMT (UK) »
With regards to Thomas Francis born about 1780 in Wexford Ireland was his wife roseanna Scott, as I am getting a bit confused am I right in saying that he stayed in Ireland and Henry, Jane and Alice came over here, and was roseanna their mother or someone else.  Did Roseanna leave them.

Very confusing.  By the way Thomas Francis is my 5th great grandfather.
mctiernan ireland
leonard skibbereen ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire
sheehy/shea sheehea wales

Offline angelahutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 March 12 16:49 GMT (UK) »
okay Thomas Francis that married Rosanna Scott, Henry Francis, Alice Francis and Jane Francis where all siblings.  I have Henry Francis second marriage cert and it states that his father was Thomas Francis.

The rest of my full family tree and it's big I have it on ancestry.

Alice Francis married Henry Smith
Jane Francis married Isaac Stewart
Thomas Francis married Rosanna Scott
Henry's first wife we think is Ellen and his second wife Ann Crawford (nee Chambers) both where widows at time of the marriage

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 March 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hiya angela yes I have seen your tree on ancestry.  I was just getting confused when I saw the post and was finding it very difficult to follow.  Hope you are well.

Fiona
mctiernan ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 March 12 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Seen your tree through searching records and going on public member trees and going through that way my tree also on ancestry is getting really big and getting so confusing with francis marrying stewarts all the time there is so many issacs that it gets really confusing especially as every day I seem to find another ancestor.
mctiernan ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire

Offline angelahutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 March 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
yeah i'm okay how are you doing with your own tree is it getting bigger.

angela

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 March 12 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is thankyou but coming to a stop again on the Stewart side.
mctiernan ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire