Author Topic: DYER Family  (Read 32075 times)

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DYER Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 September 12 15:50 BST (UK) »
Bonjour!

I have some information about this Dyer family covering three generations.

Mark Dyer (1749 to 1832).   Married Anne Moreton in 1774.   One son - Henry Moreton Dyer born in 1776.   Lived for some time in the West Indies where Mark Dyer was on the council for the Virgin Islands (Tortola).

Henry Moreton Dyer (1776 to 1841).   Lived for a time at Nassau where he was a Judge of the Vice Admiralty Court of the Bahamas Islands.  Living in London in 1822 at Devonshire House, Wimpole Street and he retired about 1837 as a pensioner of the Legal Service.

I do not know the name of his wife but his son, Henry Charles Moreton Dyer was born in 1803.   In 1827 he was appointed to the Commission of Peace for Middlesex and Westminster (London) as a police magistrate.   He married Catherine Elizabeth Knatchbull (fourth daughter of the Dowager Lady Knatchbull) in 1828.   They had four children - Henrietta Elizabeth, Gertrude Forbes, Emma Fleetwood (your ancestor?) and Reginald Malmesbury.

HCMD and his wife were recorded numerous times in the newspapers as being present at the Court of Queen Victoria so they were obviously mixing with high society and I suspect living above their income. Following a major scandal in 1841 the family fled to France in 1842 and bankruptcy hearings were started.

Gertrude married Adolph Belloc  and lived in the USA.  Reginald married Emma Riley of Brighton, Sussex, England.

You possibly know all of this but if not I can give you more details.

Offline phicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 September 12 18:11 BST (UK) »
bonjour   merci pour vos informations je n' avais pas tout et ce n' est pas toujours facile pour moi de comprendre tous les documents en anglais, en effet emma fleetwood est mon arriere arriere grand mère maternelle c' est ma mère qui a commencé son arbre généalogique et je l' aide
 j'ai trouvé l' ascendance des moreton et des knatchbull mais pas les parents de mark dier si vous les connaissez merci de penser à moi et quel est le lien qui vous lie à mark dier ? sommes nous cousin très éloigné ?
la femme d' henri moreton dier est rebecca phipps mais je n' en sais pas plus sur elle pour l' instant

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 September 12 20:18 BST (UK) »
To save anyone from the perils of online translators, if I can just lend a hand?

Hello, thank you for that information, I didn't have all of it and it is not always easy for me to understand all the documents in English.

Emma Fleetwood is in fact my maternal great-great-grandmother.

My mother has started her family tree, and I'm helping her.

I have found the ancestors of the Moretons and the Knatchbulls, but not the parents of Mark Dyer, if you know them.

Thank you for thinking of me, and what is your own connection with Mark Dyer? Are we very distant cousins?

Henry Moreton Dyer's wife was Rebecca Phipps but I don't know anything more about her at this point.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline phicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 October 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
thank you for your help i 'm not sure you can undestand me if i write in english but i try a little bit and without translater .

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 October 12 19:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janey - your help  is greatly appreciated.   My French is very basic!

In reply to Phicar - I have tried to find out more about the early background of Mark Dyer but without success.   My interest in him was due to my great great great grandfather, Mark John Dyer, having been born on Tortola, Virgin Islands in about 1800 and I have been unable to trace his parents.   At the time I believe your Mark Dyer was also still living on the island.   There was a very small European community resident in those days and it seemed to be too great a coincidence to ignore.   However, following the death in London of Mark Dyer, his son Henry Moreton Dyer claimed to be his only child.

We do have a family legend relating to the parentage of my ancestor, Mark John Dyer.   If you know of anything within your family I should really be interested to know.

Regards Lesley

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 October 12 20:24 BST (UK) »
Very welcome - I'll get notice of replies so I don't mind coming back and translating for you, phicar, if you prefer to write in French. (C’est plûtot la manque de majuscules et de ponctuation, et d'espaces, qui cause des difficultés, juste comme en anglais, mais surtout pour les lecteurs et lectrices non natifs/ves! Les jeunes et leur texting ...)

I love a good ancestral mystery, complete with family legends - I'm descended from a Viscount, if you believe them! Oh, and I have an 18th century link to Alphington. ;) So in case it helps for others reading (and just so I can follow the story more easily myself), I'll give you phicar's earlier message as well -- phicar, if I have failed to follow the thread correctly, just let me know. (Et aussi si tu as besoin d'une traduction vers le français.)

I am researching the history of my family, and a branch has led me to Henry Charles Moreton Dyer, born 1805 and died 1841.

His father was Mark Dyer and his mother was Anne Moreton.
corrected in next message:
Henry Charles Moreton Dyer was the son of Henry Moreton Willis Dyer who died in 1841, who was the son of Mark. (I'm a beginner.)

I'm looking for information about this Mark Dyer, if anyone can help me.

What I can tell you is that HC Moreton had a daughter Emma who married in France, to Aimé Duniagou, and I am one of her descendants.

If there is anything you would like to ask me I would be pleased to help.

Thanks!

So phicar has the link to the first Mark Dyer, and lullaby is looking for hers, if such there be ...

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline phicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
bonjour,thanks for your answer

si j' ai bien compris et je ne suis pas certaine , votre ancètre est une autre personne appelée Mark John dyer qui vivait
au meme endroit .Dans mes recherches j' ai un mark john dyer marié à mary ann webb entre 1754 et 1921 avec comme enfant william francis , john frederik et suzanna charlotte . Je ne sais pas si cela correspond , c' était sur le site ancestry mais je ne suis pas abonnée alors je n' ai pas accès aux actes en totalité .

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 16:42 BST (UK) »
for lullaby ;)

phicar says:

--------------------------------------------

If I understand correctly, and I'm not sure, your ancestor is another person called Mark John Dyer who lived in the same place.

In my research, I have a Mark John Dyer married to Mary Ann Webb between 1754 and 1921, with children William Francis, John Frederik and Suzanna Charlotte.

I don't know whether that fits. It was on the Ancestry site, but I don't subscribe so I don't have access to the full records.

--------------------------------------------

This may be what you're looking at:

Mark John Dyer married Mary Ann Webb, 17 Nov 1828, Shoreditch, London

Ah, I see, that is from London, England, Marriages and Banns, *1754-1921*.

Je crois que oui, phicar -- son Mark Dyer ést né ~1800 en Tortola.

lullaby, that is your Mark marying Webb?

In the 1851 census:

Mark John Dyer, coach manufacturer, born c1800 Tortola West Indies, wife Mary Ann, living in Clerkenwell, Middlesex, with children
Susannah 21
Henry 17
William 14
Sarah 4
and married son-in-law William D Hill, 22, retired coach maker -- born in Trinidad West Indies (so Susannah, who is shown as married, was really Susannah Hill)

They seem quite prosperous, lullaby - perhaps not mere carpenters in that generation!

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 16:47 BST (UK) »
Bonjour -

Yes, that Mark John Dyer from Ancestry is my ancestor - I am descended from his son William Francis.   I have not been able to confirm a direct link between this Dyer family and your Mark Dyer apart from the Tortola connection.

I have a copy of a codicil to your Mark Dyer's will and he mentions his niece Mary Dyer.  He therefore must have had a brother but his name is not given.   It seems that this brother and his wife died leaving their daughter Mary an orphan who was looked after by her uncle Mark Dyer.

Lesley