Author Topic: DYER Family  (Read 32074 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: DYER Family
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
Switching subjects just for a minute:

page 119
Montserrat
1812  Mary Dyer  273 Oxford

Now to figure out what that listing is ...

List of Wills proved in the PCC from 1800 to 1812 inclusive.

So no, not the niece of Mark Dyer 1749 as I was wondering. Ah, Mary Hamer Dyer his wife died in 1812 so that is the will you referred to earlier.

page 105
(Parish Registers of St Kitts, starts on p. 100)
Dyer, Henry, Chief Judge of Montst, died 13 Jany. 1788

The one referred to earlier, brother of Mark Dyer 1749.

The John Dyer with the wife and child in 1717 is quite possibly the one who baptised children with wife Margaret in Montserrat starting in 1724, although that does leave a bit of a gap (hmm, which might be explained if that was just when he relocated to Montserrat, and doesn't include children born on Tortola, hypothetically).
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 11 October 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Janey - I really appreciate your continued interest in this subject.   I have not yet had a chance to look at Caribbeana in detail but will try this evening or tomorrow.   I also need to write down the timelines to see how everything fits in.

My initial reaction is that the niece Mary was perhaps the daughter of Henry Dyer who died in 1788 as the dates fit.   I suppose it is possible that the publication omitted her baptism.

I also agree about the 1717 - 1724 gap.

Kind regards
Lesley 

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 11 October 12 19:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think I was missing the obvious -- Mary was the daughter of Henry who died in 1788.

Remember that the publication just covers a few years. (I assume there was more than one Caribbeana published?)

I just love a mystery, and especially one with Devon connections, as that seems to be the epicentre of my own mystery, so any chance to poke around there and I never know what I might come up with. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline phicar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 13:05 GMT (UK) »
 bonjour,

After many researchs and wrong way, i just find a list of migrant to Montserrat from England in 1678 with Anthony,John and Hugh Dyer .I suppose they was brother( i am not sure) but it was not write where in England they came from.This is in keeping with  the family tree of caribbeana but not hugh dyer . I have been watching this but not found informations .

I read a lot  of papers was destroyed during the war with french and after  by the volcan.
I think further informations can be find in books . With google book i find some interesting books but only in England 's libraries nothing in france .

I will still looking for new  informations . 

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 November 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Bonjour phicar

Thank you for the message.   Your English is good.   Yes, Anthony Dyer and John Dyer may have been brothers.   Perhaps Hugh Dyer did not stay in the Caribbean but moved on to America.

I think my ancestor, Mark John Dyer, may have been a grandson of Henry Dyer who died in 1788, age 46.   According to the will of your ancestor, Mark Dyer (1749 to 1832), Henry had a daughter called Mary so it is possible he also had a son.

If you come across Mark Dyer French in your research who was also on Tortola in the early 1800s, I think he may be a son of Margaret, the sister of Mark and Henry.  She may have married a brother of Elizabeth French, the second wife of Henry Dyer.

Anthony and John Dyer seem to have been in the army.   It might be possible to find which regiment they were in.   Our National Archives in south London could still have some records.

Offline rpegmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DYER Family/HAMER
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 December 12 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello , I may be of help, I am a descendant of Joseph HAMER of Demerara,  I have read a few of your posts am not sure if you can help me. I am new to this rootschat thing and dont know how to post my interests. Anyway I have been trying to establish Mary Hamer's Maiden/birth name . You did mention a possible Birth name ie MORTE for our Mary Hamer / Dyer. I have a copy of Joseph Hamer's Will. I also know that Joseph had connections to Montserrat. He lived in Gosport Hampshire at one time. I have Joseph & Mary's children's names.

Can you get back to me and clarify this mystery.

Thanks so much

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 15:41 GMT (UK) »
hello rpegmat and welcome to Rootschat.

I have a copy of the will of Mary Dyer/Hamer - signed in 1811 and proved in 1812.   I know she married Mark Dyer in March 1802 but they had separated by the time she wrote her will.   Presumably they lived in Alphington, Devon during the period of their marriage.   At the time of her death she was in London.

She mentions the names of her children - which I understand you already know - but I notice that her first son is called William Attwick Hamer and her third son is Richard Greathead Hamer.   I therefore think it is quite possible that her maiden name might have been Attwick (first choice as this was their first son) or alternatively Greathead.

She mentions her late mother in the will but sadly does not record her name.

Unfortunately I am unable to help you apart from this suggestion.

Lesley

Offline rpegmat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Bonjour

According to my research, your Mark Dyer married Anne Moreton at St George's Church, Hanover Square, London about 25 August 1774 - she was the mother presumably of Henry Moreton Dyer.   She seems to have died, possibly in the West Indies, and he then married Mary Hamer (this wasn't her maiden/birth surname - she was a widow) in 1802 at St Mary Abbotts, Kensington, London.   This marriage failed and they separated.   I have a copy of her will - she died in 1812.   This must be Mary Morte.   Her first husband was Joseph Hamer.

I doubt that she is the mother of my Mark John Dyer as she makes no mention of him in her will and I think your Mark Dyer had left Tortola by then.   There is a newspaper article which mentions that Mark Dyer arrived at Falmouth in December 1801 on the vessel Lord Charles Spencer from Tortola.

I didn't know that Caribbeana had been digitalised.   Is there mention of any other Dyers on Tortola in it?

Lesley

according to the above earlier post. My Mary Hamer is nee Morte? . I have searched for Attwick & Greatheed as an alternative maiden name but have not found anything in years of searching. I have documentation that says Mark Dyer was from Tortola and married Mary Hamer . So why do you think her name was not Morte? Are you the original enquirer about Mary Dyer?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, rpegmat

I've edited because I may have got the wrong end of things -- in any event, it's phicar who mentioned "Morte" so that's where the question needs to go. I had read it as a typo for Moreton, but that seems to have been me being confused.

If you read back through, I think I and the others have compiled all the mentions of Dyers in that volume of Caribbeana, and also information about Dyers of Tortola known to lullaby to exist.

The easy way to read a longish thread like this is to click the "Print" button in the upper right -- that will open a new tab where you can read the stripped-down messages all in order on one page. If you do a "find" for Tortola on the page then, for instance, you'll see all references to it in the thread.

Hope that helps!

(And keep in mind that it's just as likely that Attwick and/or Greathead was a surname from one of Mr Hamer's female ancestors.)