Author Topic: archives in Beverley - anyone going? COMPLETED thanks to Gill  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
archives in Beverley - anyone going? COMPLETED thanks to Gill
« on: Wednesday 09 February 11 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone going into the archives in Beverley in the near future, if so could I beg a look-up, please.

I would like all details of this marriage
March 1/4 1882 at All Saints, Sculcoates, between John Robert Holmes and Ada Harrop.

I'm hoping that this is the right marriage as it might shed some light on a little problem.

thanks
Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: archives in Beverley - anyone going?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Bee,

The details of the marriage:
29th (?) January 1882

John Robert Holmes, 27, bachelor, Engineer of 45 Barmston Street.
Father - Robert Holmes Dec'd, B....maker (can't read what it says)
Ada Harrop, 21, spinster of Barmston Street.
Both signed
Father - William Harrop, Labourer
Witnesses: David Pye, Mary Ann Pye (mark of)

I am afraid it was a bit difficult to read so the ages may be incorrect but hope this can shed some light on it.

Gill
Pickering - Newland, Cottingham (E.Yorks) poss. Durham
Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks
Lamb, Leonard & Ingram - Holderness
Holmes - Knottingley/Gainsborough
Paterson - Southwark, London

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: archives in Beverley - anyone going?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 11 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,

Many thanks for taking the time to do this for me, now I'm going to be busy tracking this couple as I'm almost certain that they are linked to my husband's tree.

thanks again
Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llama

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: archives in Beverley - anyone going? COMPLETED thanks to Gill
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bee,

How did you get on with this? Were they the right people? I know who the witnesses Mary Ann and David are (they are in my tree and I have a photo of them and their children) Mary Ann's maiden name is Holmes and John Robert is her brother.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Llama, welcome to rootschat  :D

Originally I thought (or hoped) that the marriage of John Robert Holmes to Ada Harrop would be connected to my tree as I have an Ada Harrop Holmes born 1905 Hull, daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth, and I have no idea where Ada's middle name came from.  So far I have not made any connection.

Bee

Offline Llama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bee,

Thanks for the welcome, have recently caught the family tree bug   :)

This is funny as the reason I'm searching this forum is that David's sister had a child whose middle name was Holmes. I couldn't work out why someone would use their sister in law's (Mary Ann's) maiden name as a middle name for their child   ??? Oh well, we both have middle name mysteries to solve!

Llama

Offline DSeel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 May 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am very new to rootschat and recently viewed your posts from 2012 and was wondering if you could help.. I have started researching the pye family of hull and noticed in one of these posts that llama mentioned that david and mary ann are in her tree.  david and mary are also in my tree and it was mentioned that you have a photograph of them and their children, I would be very interested to view the photograph if possible as I have no photographs of them at all... not sure how this would work on rootschat?? hope you can help many thanks. dseel. :)