Author Topic: tracing Cacouault/Mimardiere family  (Read 5881 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: tracing Cacouault/Mimardiere family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Really strange can't find this in any of the registers of Londons French chapels, neither is it on the IGI, which has transcribed them too, so sure I'm not missing it. It's a shame it doesn't give the details of where this baptism occured, as I'm intrigued now!

There is another member on here researching the Aumonier/Ommoniers who I have helped before. Nick I think. May be worth searching the archive.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline jules31red

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 March 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
hello i am new to this site but my grandmother was queen alice victoria mimardiere i to have traced back to john james but no further i would love to know if anyone has information on queenies siblings and their children i know she had a nephew michael who moved to australia any help would be appreciated 

Offline needleandhaystack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angie/Richard

I have not managed to get the the Huguenot Society before they close until the autumn, but I have managed to track down "Pierre" Cacouault due to one of your site members listing the newspaper archives.  Thank you so much for that!
It appears that Pierre Cacouault was anglicised to Peter Cacouault and trading as a Dr or Mr Cacouault in the early 1750's-1760's as a doctor or a Quack!  Given that medical knowledge was so poor then, and that only the rich could afford any kind of treatments I tend towards the latter!  Anyway, there are several newspaper adverts advertising his "cures" and he is based around Wardour Street, where his descendants seemed to be for at least the next generation.  I do need to get to look at some documents re. his marriage and to find his parents, but I do firmly believe now that his parents came here as a result of the Edict of Nantes and that his was the first generation of Cacouault's born here - I may be proved wrong, but it seems to fit the dates now.  If anybody has any information on those working as Doctors at this time, I would be most grateful.  His children were all extremely well educated, and I don't doubt that he was too, and connected, but I wonder about these so called cures!  Thanks again to this great site!

Offline jules31red

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
i have found a pierre cacouault born 31st jan 1726 and his father was also called jean i found this quite odd the fact pierre named his son jean but this was in holland is there no chance that the family could have originated from holland or am i digging in the wrong place

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Jules31red and a warm welcome to Rootschat  ;D 

Although I am not able to answer all your questions in relation to the family of Cacaoult - this is needleandhaystack's post and I'm sure will be able to help you further -  I would like to welcome you to the site.  If I'm right in thinking though, 'Jean' in french would be 'John' in English, so perhaps that explains why Pierre named his son Jean.

Good luck with you research

Kind Regards

Angie 
HARE - Taunton, Somerset  COOKSON - London ANDREWS - PLANE & PARKER -Peckham
HYDE - Berkshire - Australia/CLEMENTS - Berkshire
WOODLEY - Berkshire - Oxfordshire
GARRETT Bradford Abbas, Dorset
SMITH - Islington, Holborn, London
TROAKE - Devon - ADAMS - Devon/Somerset
WINNEY - Berkshire/Oxfordshire
EASTERSON - Kent  BURLINGHAM - Oxfordshire
LYONS & CURTIS - Berkshire

Offline LaMimardière

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 May 21 01:35 BST (UK) »
Answering Needleandhaystack
I was trying to locate my French home on maps and found this thread. My family own the old farm of La Mimardière in Saivres- I moved from there to London over 30 years ago. I know that your post is now over 10 years old but I'd love to know if you have been able to trace your family.  We are not originally from this area but  Cacouault is definitely a local name- One of our family friends has this surname.
There is a local museum dedicated to Protestantism- https://www.museepoitouprotestant.com
(In the House of Protestantism you can find the “Dictionnaire des familles protestantes du Poitou” by Pastor Jean Rivierre and documents belonging to Monsieur and Madame Dez. The genealogy centre is open all year long on Saturdays from 9.30 to 12.30 and from Tuesdays to Fridays by appointment. The House of Protestantism in Poitou F-79370 Beaussais Tel. +33 (0) 5 49 32 83 16 ) that might be of some help.
I will also ask around if we could find some information.

Offline jules31red

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 04:43 BST (UK) »
this is great information thankyou needle is my cousin but i lost contact with her the mimardiere cacouault was my nans family. will take a look at the information you have given and hopefully be able to trace back even further than catherine and pierre kind regards julie

Offline needleandhaystack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 08:36 BST (UK) »
Dear LaMimardiere,

Apologies for not replying sooner but I did not receive a notification about your post. Thank you so much for this information and I will definitely follow up! How amazing that your family owned the farm and your reply goes to show how important these websites are. :)

I know from research that around 98% of those with the name Cacouault, were from Deux-Saivres. I haven't been able to research further back than Pierre and Catherine so far, but my research took me off in a different direction. I studied for a history degree and then an MPhil at the University of Cambridge. I intend to follow up with a PhD once my children are at university. The focus of my research was Huguenot educators. I wanted to focus on females but was not able to find the records for my dissertation, however, I have an academic paper in preparation that I hope to complete and submit for publication later this year. My Huguenot and Harcourt ancestry contained lots of educators and my dissertation was entitled, 'Education and the Shaping of Huguenot Education in England, c.1685-c.1725'. It is available to view/read for free on Academia.Edu (https://cambridge.academia.edu/KimMicheleHetherington). If you are interested in the subject, you and jules31red can contact me via Academia.Edu or via my business website at:  kimhetherington.org. I won't disclose personal contact details on RootsChat.

I have recently undertaken a genealogy course and both that and my history research have taught me that it is important to understand individuals in the time in which they lived. In terms of family research, I have built up a picture of my ancestors and located them in the time in which they live through archive records, newspapers, and knowledge of the time/place in which they lived. Their friends and associates are also important. jules31red, please do get in touch. My mum died in early 2020 thankfully before Covid hit and dad has deteriorated quite a lot but is hanging on in there aged 87. Those Huguenot genes I guess. He is sorry that he lost touch with your family. He mellowed a lot in old age.

Thanks again, LaMimardiere. :)

Offline LaMimardière

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 April 22 14:14 BST (UK) »
Dear needleandhaystack
Great to hear from you. I've just sent you an email. Hope it's the right email address