Author Topic: soooooo confused!!!  (Read 23391 times)

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: soooooo confused!!!
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 13:18 GMT (UK) »
oh no, i have only just regisitered this info! well at least i can enter william bicknell into my tree and see what i can find about him.
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
There are some strange anomalies in the Selborne PRs:  almost as if the Vicar and/or Clerk made errors of assumption or erred on the side of caution.

Bearing in mind that most Ag labs were illiterate, the Vicar had 'free reign' with how he wished to record them.  Presumably, as Lucy LASHAM was not recorded in the Selborne Baptisms, he had no evidence to confirm her paternity.  This beggars the question of his acceptance of Wm BICKNELL as Wm BONE's father, unless the Witness Wm BICKNELL attested accordingly.  To muddy the waters further, who is the unmarried Lucy LASHAM aged 65 born 'Selbourne' in Alton Workhouse 1851?

William BICKNELL c1772-1848 and Hori HALE c1777-1855 were contemporaries;  the former a Labourer and the latter a Farmer.  There are just too many twists and turns to risk speculation!
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 14:25 GMT (UK) »
i am thinking the subject title 'soooooo confused' is still right LOL

i am no closer really to etablishing who lucy lasham was, or who james' father was, or where the hecky peck they all lived really am i lol?!

i am very grateful for all your help though guys x

saville foljambe moore

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 14:51 GMT (UK) »
i have attached that census in 1851 to sarah. i looked for a 41 census and it comes up with sarah HALE with lucy william and others under the name hale!

saville foljambe moore

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Another marriage has turned up:

4Q 1854  DEADMAN George / LASSAM Sarah   Hambledon  2a 145

It's a shame they married out of area as I can't check the details but 1861 has them both born 'Selbourne'.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
mmmm when i checked out the 51 lucy lasham workhouse census, the name deadman jumped out at me in the same workhouse. (only because my grandmother was a deedman and its an unusual name and i was off on a wonding moment.)

but i wonder whether this lucy lasham could be my lucy lasham with the wrong dob given? also in the workhouse were collins (witnesses at james lashams wedding) bones and hale!

however they are connected im getting the sense that they werent the lovliest or richest of people!! although lucys father must have been at some point to build some cottages.

saville foljambe moore

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't know about 'your' Lucy LASHMAN but I think the one from the workhouse was buried 12 Jun 1851 at Selborne with a recorded age 60.  I was literally 'buzzing' through the Selborne burials to try and get some sort of bearings on the HALE, BICKNELL & BONE families but I did not spot burials for 'your' Lucy BONE alias HALE or William BONE alias BICKNELL, although I did a double check between the 1860s and 1870s.

A further complication appears to be the marriage 4Q 1840 between a William BICKNELL and Mary Ann BONE!  [See later posting correcting marriage partners] It appears to be in the household of William & Mary Ann BICKNELL at Oakhanger Common that William BONE with recorded age 'rounded down' to 20 spends the night of the 1841 Census.  That William BICKNELL appears to be the one buried 14 Jun 1870 aged 63.

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:45 GMT (UK) »
ok so that lucy in the workhouse isnt my lucy as she died a bone and i have her death.

i really do appreciate your help on this. your skills and knowledge far oue do mine, and i am so out of my depth now that im drowning in lasham bones hales and now blooming bicknells!

i have been trying to write it all down on paper with names and dates, and still all i have is lucy bone born abt 1810, and james lasham her son lol.

actually thats not true is it? you guys have helped me add some siblings and parents.

saville foljambe moore

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:47 GMT (UK) »
i suddenly just had a thought and relised that william bicknell and mary ann bone were the arents of william bone and william was just born before they married.  ;D

i thought yes its not another child with the wrong father etc. but then the light went out and i relised that this cant be right because the dates dont add up lol  ::)

saville foljambe moore