Author Topic: devereux/devereaux family  (Read 9216 times)

Offline WATTERS2831

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: devereux/devereaux family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 January 12 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Did you manage to find out anything further concerning Patrick Devereux and his siblings or parents?  His marriage certificate makes no mention of whether his father was alive or deceased.

There was also a James Devereux married to Jane (possibly Raftis) living in Accrington at the time of the marriage, their older children being born in Ireland.  A child of one of these Jameses, Kieran/Kearn was also born in c 1846 in the same village as Patrick - I have yet to determine the connection and hope you may be able to help.

Yes , Patrick and Kearn were brothers , there were also 9 other siblings , children of James and Jane , the first 9 were born in Ireland the last 2 in Accrington lancashire 1862 and 1864 so they must have come to England sometime between 1860-1862

Offline olliegeorge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 January 12 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for repling so quickly.   The reason I am confused is that the note posted in answer to your original question has James and Mary Rogers as the parents of Patrick, Catherine, Margaret and James. 

Was Rogers the maiden name of Jane, married to James of Accrington - ie are they the same couple of the Irish records?    I have nine children 'allocated' to James and Janebut this does not include Patrick and Catherine. Do you have any information concerning Catherine, born 1849?

Offline WATTERS2831

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 January 12 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes dont know where that confusion comes from James definately married Jane Rogers and Patrick married Mary Lanty , Catherine Devereaux was born in Ireland in 1849 , married Bernard Farrington in Blackburn in  1868 had 5 children the first born in Bacup in 1870 the next 2 were also born in Bacup , the 4th born in Todmorden and the 5th in Oldham , Catherine died in Rochdale in 1878

Offline olliegeorge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information - the Catherine (same age as yours) I am looking for also came over in c 1860 but her father must have been a different James.  However, I do know that there was a family connection between her and the Accrington lot - just what it was, I have yet to find out!

Offline WATTERS2831

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 15:00 GMT (UK) »
keep searching , the answer will be there , even if you have to re-examine your info , dates of birth , mothers maiden names , a father who used different first names all these are possiblilites , i had all sorts of trouble with the spelling of the surname,  amongst my tree there were 3 different spellings on B/M/D records

Devereaux , Devereux and Deveraux

good luck

Offline edev

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It was interesting to come across this thread. My Grandpa's dad was called Patrick and I know Patrick (what would be my Great Grandpa) had a brother called Kearn. My Grandpa was an only child. We are based in Lancashire.

Would be interested to hear more :)

Best