Author Topic: MARSHALL in Loughborough 1820-1850  (Read 4706 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: MARSHALL in Loughborough 1820-1850
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I presume this is the Marriage from FreeREG?
Thomas MARSHALL
Mary WHITTLE, 03 December 1792, Wymeswold, Leicester, England

Now a THOMAS/MARY Marshall christened a William MARSHALL, 08 June 1794, Wimeswold, Leics.
(Source Familysearch Pilot)
(Thomas could possibly still be alive in 1851, born c 1765, Wimeswold, Leics)

William Married Hannah GOODACRE, 11 May 1817, St Mary, Wymeswold, Leics
(Source FreeREG)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 15:30 GMT (UK) »
would link this with the other marshall thread on here if i knew how!!

been to the library just now - no luck. guess these marshalls are like some of the others and are non conformists /baptists. checked l'boro and barrow.

only one baptism found for a william & mary:
nathanial marshall 24/12/1813 L'boro s/o William & Mary  boatwright

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diddy,

The burials for William and Hannah Marshall were at the Baptist Church. The one in Baxter gate is only a short walk from where they were living in 1841 and 1851 and even closer to where James was living in 1841.

Looking at the trees with William's children, none of them have baptism dates and so they seem hard to find. It sounds as though a check on the Baptist records might find them. I wonder if the church still has them or if they are at the library or county?

Regards,
David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I have just found out that the Baxter gate Church was built in 1828 and so the elder children would not have been baptised there but maybe the youngest. Perhaps there was an earlier churrch or meeting house?

"A listed four-square brick Meeting House, opened on Christmas Day, 1828, and enlarged and enhanced over the years.   Built back from the road in order to escape the persecution focused upon ‘Dissenters’ at that time."

These Marshalls originated in Wymeswold and there had been Baptists there for some time.

"At least as early as 1650 there were Baptists in Wymeswold. In 1676 there were 80 Nonconformists over the age of 16, among them Quakers and Baptists. In 1700 there were 25 Baptist families and soon after the Methodist movement arrived."

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:06 GMT (UK) »
the Baptists do NOT have child baptism - only as adults.

I provided the details about the burials from L'boro library but all other records are in Leics records office.

the burials given are not Baxter gate but Woodgate Baptist church. the stones were moved when the church was extended and rest in the grounds of the Old rectory near the All Saints Parish church.

all the details about the wymeswold marshalls are on the other thread!

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline HWilson62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 June 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

I am a newbie so cannot do a personal message.  I am descended from James Marshall and Jane Hirst.  I have also hit a brick wall trying to figure out where James Marshall came from.  Keen to exchange information