Author Topic: Mary Celine Nursing Home Summerhill Terrace Cork  (Read 10086 times)

Offline kedghill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Celine Nursing Home Summerhill Terrace Cork
« on: Saturday 12 February 11 06:04 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on where I might find admissions records  for this hospital from the 1950s

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Celine Nursing Home Summerhill Terrace Cork
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 February 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
The Marie Celine Nursing Home, Summerhill, was a privately run nursing home, catering for maternity patients, as far as I know. It closed many years ago & I don't think there are any records available.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline galinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 11 23:18 BST (UK) »
i was born there also as were my 2 brothers - unfortunately long closed

Offline MollyHolland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on where I might find admissions records  for this hospital from the 1950s

Hi there,
Not good news I'm afraid. The matron of the Marie celine was my great aunt, may griffin, and I too was born there as were all my family. May died in the 1970 s and when the house was sold, all the records were burnt. Apparently someone in the family decided that no good would come of the information coming out. Those were different days and there would have been a lot of secret adoptions.
There is a member of the family who was a midwife there and is now almost 80 but may be able to help you though unlikely that she would remember. But she might be able to tell you at least something abut the home and how your birth might have been.
I have told her about your post and she was interested and very sad that there are no records any more.
Maybe you might contact me through here and let's see if there is a way to set up a phone call? Obviously confidentiality for all is important, so maybe contact the moderator here who might be able to contact me?

Offline persian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 August 19 17:20 BST (UK) »
I too may have been born there and I have no record of my birth. Through DNA I have established who my bio parents were. I have met cousins, they are all from Cork. Both parents dead now, but I believe the sister in law of my mother worked there late 40s/ 50s. Please any information would be grateful. Also does anyone know what the name of the local parish church was as this would have been usedfir baptism. Thank you in advance

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 19:37 BST (UK) »
I too may have been born there and I have no record of my birth. Through DNA I have established who my bio parents were. I have met cousins, they are all from Cork. Both parents dead now, but I believe the sister in law of my mother worked there late 40s/ 50s. Please any information would be grateful. Also does anyone know what the name of the local parish church was as this would have been usedfir baptism. Thank you in advance
Hello Persian my husband was born there in 1949 and baptised as far as I am aware in St Patricks Church Glanmire Road. Good luck searching

Offline ken jordan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 October 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
i was wondering if anyone ever got to see records from marie celine nursing home .. i was born there in 1967..i know nobody else who was born there. what kind of place was it.  why were the  records burned.

Offline UnaCork

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 June 22 08:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if most of the children born in Marie Celine were adopted or was it also a regular maternity facility?

Offline VivForde

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 November 22 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Two of my four brothers were born in the Marie Celine, one in 1954 and the other in 1959.  It was a private maternity home.  My mother was a married woman with a husband. 

The nearest Parish Church would be St. Patrick's.  But my eldest brother was baptised at the North Cathedral of St. Mary's and St. Anne's.

I hope this information helps.