Author Topic: Looking for Barker Joseph BENSON, born Whitby 1815?  (Read 48477 times)

Offline Barkrelsatthepoint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Barker Joseph BENSON, born Whitby 1815?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 February 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Carna,

It was bugging me about Willis Allatson senior - Barker's brother as I knew there was something unusual about him.

This is his marriage notice which appeared both in the Morning Chronicle-  Thurs 27th ? 1856. and also in the Malton Messenger 1856 both British Newspapers online - costs you to download - think its 7 pound for a 100 hits. Great site as they give you a peek to see if it's relevant.

On the 21st Instant at St Mary's Church, Whitby in the County of York, Willis Allatson Benson, fourth son of Thomas Benson Esq of London to Dorothy, daughter of William Esq of Whitby.

Thomas 1779 (Sarah Barker)(our direct common ancestor) and William 1775 (Elizabeth Walker) are brothers - William's line is very interesting too. Therefore Willis married his first cousin.

The notice about William J C and Willis A is in the London Gazette 28th Feb. 1845 p.692. When I was trawling this site last year it was free, but I'm not so sure now.

There are several references in the Sydney Morning Herald that confirms your info.
Marriage info for Willis and Emily is in the 21st June 1880 edn

Willis the grandson who dies at 8yrs and 8months is in Tues 20th Oct 1891edn.

Willis' sentence to 18 months hard labour was in Tues 9th April 1889

Wytham (which is one of our Eric's (another naughty one) names) marriage to Ruby was in the Sat 22nd Nov. 1902 edn of SMH

There's a Willis death appeared in Thurs 16th Dec 1915 SMH as the son of Barker Joseph - Have other notices of the family showing that the family would put deaths from abroad in the SMH e.g Barker's sister Dorothy Richardson and his brother Thomas both died in the same year in England and it was in the SMH. So don't know where he died.

Thanks for your info again, it will save a lot of staring at the computer screen and means we can add in more relatives to what is becoming a rather large family tree. 

Will give you more info on Barker later. By the way Allatson is an interesting name that would have died out if it wasn;t for the propensity of the Benson family to carry names down.  Have a look for the Horngarth story on the net.

Cheers rels at the point     

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi blynch2,

Haven't heard from you for a while. Hoping you got my PM.

I noticed that you have only made one post, and maybe you have to make 3 before you can send or receive PM's

It has been so exciting to find both you and barkrelsatthepoint.
I believe you two are more related than me, as I gather you are both descendants of William Robson Benson.

Please make contact again as I would love to share info and photos.

Carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 February 11 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carna and anyone else who's watching this site for info on Barker.

In year order,

10th Feb. 1842 Notice in SMH: East Gosford/Brisbane Water
Calling at Benson and Parkinson Wharf - The Steamer William IV

2nd June 1842 in SMH Barker 2nd meeting for insolvency

Thurs 22nd Dec 1842 Proof of claims

William Robson's birth certificate 1845 records Barker as a surgeon.

Tuesday 26th Sept 1848 Dr Barker Joseph Benson takes the chair at Brisbane Water for a meeting of the Episcopalian Church.

Thursday 20th Sept 1849 SMH
Barker is charged with embezzlement

Wed 28th Nov. Barkers countermands and John Harrison is charged with perjury which Barker wins,

Sat 22nd Feb. 1851 SMH
A Coroners Inquest - seems that Barker is the Coroner or a doctor reporting?
It's a good read.

Sat 11th May 1867 SMH he's insolvent again.

Not sure whether Wolfiesmith could pick up the tone of his father Thomas' will but the number of codicils that basically show a need to keep control over Barker's inheritance raises questions of his ability to handle money?

I've got the death notices in the paper somewhere but can't find them.

Regarding William John Chapman Benson's wife, she was Emily (nee Horn) and she died in Sunderland 1848 at the age of 30? according to the Newcastle Courant Friday October 6th.

As for blynch 2, if you are reading this. Which of William's son's or daughter are you related to us through? He and Ida or should I say Ida with regard to the children must have had a busy time.  My father William's son Eric's youngest son died at 85, five years ago and was the oldest living Benson male in that direct line back. Pity he didn't know it, we've only just worked it out. 

Hope this helps barkrelsatthepoint 

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 February 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barkrelsatthepoint,

Thanks for all that info, it so paints a picture of Barker.

Have you seen the newspaper account of Barker from 24/12/1837 care of purp72? It is so funny and seems to confirm his personality. I can email a copy if you want to PM me your email address.

Was your William Robson also a doctor, as this post by JM on the Australian board mentions?

(Sands 1885

William R BENSON, surgeon
The Hermitage,
New South Head Road
PADDINGTON

I think "The Hermitage" was heritage listed or subject to some protection order in the past decade

Cheers,  JM )

I'm so glad we are living longer now. We still have 4 living brothers and sister grandchildren of Willis (b1860), the oldest turns 90 in Aug.

Great to hear from you,
Carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 February 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carna,

We have the newspaper article of Barker's misdeamour - considering the times - we weren't that far from 1st fleet stuff, we couldn't help feeling he was pretty lucky. 

I have heaps of info on William Robson, but the stuff about being a doctor I'm not sure about. Again I will have to check what info I've got on him. He and Ida had heaps of kids and I don't how he had time to work to be honest with you. They seem as though they were well off.

I would love someone to put info on this site about him as what I have paints a picture of his life as a very diligent  citizen from a young age, more like his grandfather Thomas in London. I can tell you Thomas was President of the London version of the Mercantile Seamen's Union for displaced persons and families of seamen who left them destitute.

His own Great Uncle 1696 Thomas was a Burgess of the Seaham Hospital in Whitby which was a charity of the same kind. Benson comes from benevolent and that's exactly what they were. Not surprising Barker became a Doctor, as did his cousin Alfred Robson (williams son) - he has a mountain named after him in British Columbia. 

Another tit-bit did you know Barker's brother General Robson's wife had an orchid named after her? It's called Thunia Bensonaie (spelling?). Look it up on the net it's beautiful.

Chat again soon. barkrelsatthe point       

Offline blynch2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 February 11 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Barrelsatthepoint,
Sorry I have taken so long to reply. I am related through William and Ida's youngest son, Richard Benson (b.1900). Your father  and my father( Richard William b 1922) were first cousins! My mother mentioned meeting Uncle Eric when she first got married, in the late 1950's.
 This is what I have about the Bensons. Don't know if you know all this stuff already:

Barker Joseph Benson's father was Thomas Benson (b.23.1.1779, d. 1849) Married Sarah Barker (b.14.2.1779)

Thomas Benson was the son of Thomas Benson (b. 18.9.1738, d.1782) and Ann Robson.

Thomas Benson was the son of William Benson (b. 1708, d. 31.5.1747) and Dorothy Chapman.

William Benson was the son of William Benson (b. 11.5.1657)

William Benson was the son of William Benson (b.1630) Not too sure about this last one!

Sarah Barker was the daughter of Joseph Barker (1743-1809) and Ann Rain.

Joseph Barker was the son of William Barker (b.1716 d. 1780) and Sarah Martha Huggins.

Dorothy Chapman was the daughter of Ingram Chapman (b. 28.4.1682 d. 1.5.1755) and Elizabeth Linskill (b.1679 d. 1743)

Ingram Chapman was the son of William Chapman (b. 19.4.1646 d. feb 1720) and Mary Temple ( b.3.11.1659 d. 17.5.1739). Through Mary Temple we are supposedly related to Leofric, Earl of Mercia and Lady Godiva!

I hope this wasn't too confusing! I also have lots of stuff on the Rutters and Vandervords.

I have enjoyed reading your little snippets of information. I am lucky enough to have in my possession some diaries written by Barker Joseph Benson that another distant relly copied for me years ago. I would be very happy to share these with you if I can figure out how. I have just bought a new scanner and when I figure out how to use it, I will post some photos of Barker and Hannah. I also have a nice photo of William Robson Benson in his mason's regalia. He looks very distinguished.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else!
Regards,
Blynch2

Offline blynch2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 February 11 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carna and Barkrelsathepoint,

Regarding William Robson Benson's occupations:

Pretty sure he wasn't a doctor. There was another William Benson from Tasmania at this time who was a doctor, so perhaps that has led to some confusion.

Our William Benson at various times listed his occupation as accountant, Lord Mayor of Marrickville, Manager of a wharf association, journalist (he knew Cook, who was the editor of the SMH) and estate agent. They seemed to have some money as the children all went to private schools - my grandfather went to Newington, but he left school as soon as he could!  When he died, William's estate was only valued at 69 pounds. William was very busy as he was the secretary of the NSW rowing association for many years and was also active on other various sporting committtees e.g. rugby and cricket.

Did you know that he was a member of the first intercolonial rowing eight that competed against Victoria? He must have been a multi-talented man!

regards, Blynch2

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 February 11 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi blynch2,

Great to hear from you.
Thanks for the emails, the links were interesting reading.

I am fascinated that we are so closely related and can share info through this site.

Are you also based in Oz?

Sounds like you two were related to the model citizen, and we were related to the crook!  :-[

I only knew a little except what has been posted here.
Thanks again for sharing.
Carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 February 11 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carna and Blynch 2

This is so exciting. I'm sure I was named for your Richard 1900 and I remember my Dad - William (Bill) talking about Uncle Dick.  Dad (Bill) was born in 1919 not 22 and Gwenneth Marion (Gwen) his wife was too.

I need to tell you both now, we at this point have the whole tree on the computer but as it includes all of my wife's family and we're related through Gwen and her Dad, it's massive to say the least - too big to put here. We are of course lacking loads of dates, some which this site has already helped us with. Carna you are so lucky - My wife  spent nine months on the net getting all this info for our family and here it is so quick. But so to our benefit too. 

My wife Angela is writing up the story so that the kids and grandkids know there roots (no pun intended with the site here but so glad it exists).

We do not have any info on the Rutters (are they related to the songwriter Rutters?) or the Vandervords. Would so love all the photos etc of all the rellies. We ahve heaps of the Chapman's who we related to many times over from our visit to Whitby last year.

I have additional info too from the Herald on a Regatta where all the important people in the Colony at that stage were at and William as a young man was there too - He started his community awareness very early. Do you also have the stuff on his involvement with Marrickville Cottage hospital? He was in that area at an important time in the growth of it and the surrounding areas with regards to being on the council.

We started this research on 2 anecdotal statements of Dads - We were related to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dad's dad was the Mayor of Marrickville (which we've proved) the other is harder unless someone knows something we don't.

Also Dad did not live with Eric much he live with his Uncle Ambrose and Aunty Sis, family circumstances related to the death of his wife (Pauline Mitchell) and his daughter Marie within eighteen months of each other plus the depression playing a huge part in the fate of 'Our Bill'. 

Have to go now but will look forward to any more post and will add more ourselves when we've got time.

Cheers