Author Topic: Looking for Barker Joseph BENSON, born Whitby 1815?  (Read 48570 times)

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Barker Joseph BENSON, born Whitby 1815?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi blynch2,

I can't believe it!
Willis Allatson BENSON (b.1860) was my great great grandfather.
We are related to him through his son Jack.

I would love to share pictures, I have one of Willis and of his wife if they are of interest to you. I also have a post on the Australian board, where someone has also mentioned a gaol photograph of Willis.

Years ago, someone gave our family a hand written sheet with a snippet of BENSON family on it. It was taken from research done by Kim Lynch, at the Sydney Registrar General Office.
Is she possibly related?
This is the only info I really had until a week ago when I joined RootsChat.

I haven't really known where to look for info, and everyone is so kind for looking it up and then sharing it.
I have found out heaps in just a week.

I just have to connect the dots and then I would love more info.

Sooooooooo excited,
Thanks heaps,
Carna

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi purp72,

Thanks heaps for that info.
I love how they described people back then. 

I will pm you as I would love a copy so I can show it to his still living great grandson.
Can't wait to show him that his 'naughty streak' ran in the family.

Thanks again,
Carna

Offline Barkrelsatthepoint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:21 GMT (UK) »
After nine months of searching we seem to have found relatives. We are of the direct line from Barker through to his son William's son Eric, then to Eric's son William and then Richard, to Mark to Liam. Most of the information is correct that people have posted here and we have verification of it from British newspapers, archives etc. We also went to Whitby Museum and Philosophical society in 2010 and found yes william 1657 with brother Thomas (no date) and parent Jane Benson(2nd marriage Cowltas). We would love copies of any photos of the younger generations, especially Barker. Are you all familiar with the rest of the family -it's massive especially the intertwining of relationships with the chapmans, walkers etc and did you know they probably all knew Cook personally? do you know that Thomas and Ann, then Thomas and Sarah got married at St Mary's whitby? Ohh so excited won't be able to sleep now we know there are others out there who are on our wavelength.     

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 February 11 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barkrelsatthepoint,

As mentioned on previous posts, I am Barker Joseph's great-great-great granddaughter.
We are related through his son Willis Allatson.

As I am in Australia, I have also posted on the Australian board of RootsChat. Have a look there, maybe different info?

I have a photo of Willis Allatson and wife. if you want to PM me with your email address, I am happy to share some pics.

blynch2 mentions pics of Barker Joseph and Hannah, seems happy to share!

I have only really started family history end of 2010, so don't have much info to share, but happy to share what I have.

This RootsChat is absolutely brilliant. It is sooooo exciting to find family members we didn't know about.

Carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 February 11 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carna,
Great to chat, have looked up rules on PM's and we have to have 3 posts before being able to use this facility. Are you aware that Willis Allatson Senior -Barker's brother died in America either on the way or at New York. This info is available on a Google site so it may be worth you looking it up. He was quite a man. I have seen info also on his son Ernest could be spelt Earnest, he 'made' it too so to speak. In his early days Willis and William John were sailmakers - just go to London Archives of the British Newspaper and type names in. His wife was Emily Knipe and she died in Sunderland-Yorkshire not long after the children were born. When Willis died according to the article his oldest brother Thomas and William John (don't quote me see article) went over to America to sort the business out.  For an interesting tie to Whitby download the Muster Rolls for 1747 - the Thomas there is Thomas 1696 - never married and Widow Benson (his sister-in-law) is your numerous times grandmother.  Thomas Benson1779 was brother-in-law to Aaron Chapman MP for Whitby via his sister-in-law Elizabeth (Sarah's sister). Download Ruswarp Hall on the net and know that Willis' Dad Thomas 1738 lived there - Thomas 1779 was born there, we're in OZ too - visited it in 2010. Should keep you going for now. Cheers talk again soon. 

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 February 11 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi blynch2,

Are you in OZ.? Would love to hear from you about the top of the tree. We are great grandson of William Robson via his son Eric. Do you know anymore about William 1630 or William 1657? We have a copy of William 1657's brother Thomas' will and know that their mother was Jane. Didn't know their father's name. Seems it may be William. Also they are related to Woodhouses, Cliffes (old spelling) and Chapmans via Thomas Chapman husband of Elizabeth who may have been a sister. A William Chapman also a witness to the will seems likely to be William Chapman husband of Mary Temple (2nd wife) his first wife was Ellinor.  Any info you have will certainly help all the other inquirers on this forum.

Cheers barkrelsatthe point     

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 February 11 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Carna,

Whoops too early in the morning and a cold to boot. Change Willis Allatson to William John Chapman Benson - Canada - should get you the site and it was Willis and Thomas who went to America to rectify things hence why William John Chapman Benson is deceased in the 1851 census info posted by WolfieSmith. Otherwise the info is correct. I'm presuming Willis came to OZ sometime? I haven't researched him yet because I've concentrated on Barker and his son William our direct relative.

Cheers barkrelsatthepoint   

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 February 11 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barkrelsatthepoint,

Sounds like you've been at this for a while.

There are a few Willis Allatsons, which can make it confusing. I think Barker Joseph had a brother Willis Allatson, then he had a son Willis Allatson (b1860 Gosford) to whom we are related, then he had a son Willis Allatson (b1883 Glebe) to his 1st wife Emily Knipe (m1880 Sydney).

There is also a death notice for Willis (b1883) NSWbdm 1891 aged 8yrs 8mths.

We are related through Willis's (1860) 2nd wife Angela Rubie (m1891).
We knew he had been married to Emily Knipe but didn't know of any children.
I recently found 4 children born to Willis and Emily , through NSWbmd.
I also believe that this Emily Knipe died in NSWbmd as Emily Baddeley in 1950 (parents names seem to match.)

Willis and Angela had 5 children; Gabrielle (b1886), Jack (b1887, our relative), Dorothy (b1892), Muriel (b1897), and Reginald (b1899).

You mention a wife also Emily Knipe, who died in Yorkshire. Is this coincidence?

So excited to start looking up some of the things that you mention. Getting started straight away.

Through these kind RootsChat members, I have  a 24/12/1837 newspaper account of Barker Joseph and copies of the wills of his parents Thomas and Sarah. Can pass these on when you PM me your email, if you haven't already got them.

Thanks heaps for the info,
Carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 February 11 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carna,

Will have to gather my info together. We've been concentrating on the top of the tree as we needed to fit in as much research as we could while in the UK. I've found most of my early information via the Robert Chapman website and Geoff Walker who we both are related to. Will need to check my info re 'Emily' in UK as I haven't looked at it for a while.

Think I'm in shock to find not so much new info but confirmation of my own research which is awesome. Sarah Benson(Barker) was my loose end so am grateful for info on her. I confirmed her by an online donation to the Marchioness' Travel diary. Will give you the site when I sort it out. I've looked at the Aus site comments and I don't think we need to worry about Barker's character - he was involved in two at least bankruptcies but he was a well respected doctor as can be read by the friend of his who signed his death certificate which was what got us started on the english side of things. Got info from his involvement with the Anglican church in Kincumber (East Gosford) which was moved stone by stone to its present position early 1900's again I'll have to check. William his son's involvement with the Mercantile Rowing club is interesting and being Mayor of Marrickville earned him many accolades.

All for now until I get around to it all again. Happy 'surfing'. rels at the point