Author Topic: Girthon and Anwoth Free Church  (Read 6052 times)

Offline Algall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Girthon and Anwoth Free Church
« on: Saturday 12 February 11 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where I might find records for The Girthon and Anwoth Free Church of Scotland in Gatehouse. This was a breakaway from Girthon Parish Church.
I am searching for the Galloway family who were members of Girthon Parish Church but may have followed the minister in 1843 to form the Free Church.
I can find no records for the family at Girthon after this date.

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Girthon and Anwoth Free Church
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 11 21:48 BST (UK) »
In Old Girthon cemetery, there is a Mary Galloway died 20.4.1846, aged 39, wife of John Gardiner in Murraytown, together with family.  There is also Menzies Galloway, born Lagg, 24.2.1818, died Gatehouse 28.7.1880.
Let me know if above is of use and I can possibly assist further as my ancestors also resided in Lagg and were founding members of the Rutherford Free Church.
Henry. Dalrymple. Ross. Rogerson. Bruty. Clark.

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 11 23:06 BST (UK) »
In this situation the first place to look is the National Archives of Scotland’s catalogue: http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Free Church records generally start with the reference CH3, however I have searched for Anwoth, Girthon and Gatehouse (even though this is not a Parish) and nothing has turned up. I would suggest either writing to the minister. As the churches joined since all the books may be together or contacting the FHS to see what they know.

In comparison to other areas of Scotland quite a lot of Parish Registers are still held locally. However it's also possible that none survive. If I ever hear where they are I'll let you know.

Emma

Offline Algall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Solway & Emma
Mary is the fourth child of Alexander Galloway b. 1772 and Mary McNish died 1843.
1st child William b. 04/05/1799 at Girthon.
2nd child George b. 05/06/1801 at Girthon.
3rd child Alexander b. 13/08/1804 at Girthon.
5th Child Elizabeth b. 15/04/1809 at Girthon.

It is William I am trying to trace as I can find no mention of him after his birth.
I have found Alexanders (1772) Will and all the above are mentioned except William.

I am trying to prove whether he died in childhood or left home to make his way as a weaver in Mouswald Dumfrieshire (my great great Grandfather) who came from Kirkcudbright.

The fact that Mary is burried at Girthon is interesting.

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 20:36 BST (UK) »
I think this is your William in the Parish of Mouswald:
William Galloway, Weaver, Single, Died 13 Sept. 1870, Mouswald Village. Father and mother unknown. Died of old age and debility. Informant James Bell, Inspector of Poor.
If you care to send me a private message with your email address, I will forward Scotlands People Certificate.
It is always so sad to hear of these circumstances on death. No doubt he will be buried in the local cemetery but there may be no memorial. First chance, I will have a look for you.

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I overlooked to say his age is given as 75.

Offline Solway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry again, Algal.  I overlooked Copyright restrictions so will not be able to email Certificate to you although you now probably have all the info. you require. However, if you wish, I can email you photographs of the cemetery and memorial-if this exists-when next in the area.

Offline Algall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Solway
I already have all this info. As I said this is my GGGrandfather and that is where my tail ends.
A search for William around his birth date in Kirkcudbright (Girthon) shows only one child born. I am trying to prove if this is him or not.
Thanks anyway.
Algal