Author Topic: William Randerson-Millington  (Read 1267 times)

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Randerson-Millington
« on: Saturday 12 February 11 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Two of my ancestors on my grandad's side are William Randerson born Millington 1797 and his father William Randerson born Millington 1755.

The England and Wales criminal records for 1819 shows 2 trials in Kingston upon Hull of a William Randerson.
The first was in April 1819 for larcency-sentenced to 3 months imprisonment.
The second was in October 1819 for larcency-sentenced to 3 months imprisonment and whipped.

Is there any way I can find out if it was any of my 2 ancestors? One would be 63 and the other 21?
Were the 2 criminals the same William Randerson or totally unconnected with each other?

Can anybody shed any light on this or point me in the right direction?

Offline LNC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Randerson-Millington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 August 20 06:18 BST (UK) »
I can't help re which William Randerson it was. However, I did find some detail of the punishment using a google search. It is in a book called "Curious Tales of East Yorkshire" by Howard Peach. It says talking about savage punishments for relatively minor thefts that "in 1819 William Randerson was flogged from Hull's Whitefriargate to Dock bridge for the theft of a rope; he then served three months in prison." I don't know what the source of this information was. I would guess that the 67 year old would be very badly affected by this cruel treatment.
JohnRanderson-Catholic baptism Garforth/Aberford 1806-1862 E.Keswick YKS marr'dEliz.Kirby Bardsey1831
Combe/Combs/Coombe Winchcombe,7HamptonGLS
Combs Broadway Worc1788->
Hartley - Guiseley Yorkshire, Chapeltown, Leeds,
Townend - Castleford, Colton,Whitkirk
Bacon - STS(Uttoxeter) GLS
Ann Hirons d1873 Tewkesburyaged 92
Sarah Smith m'd John Birdsall 1827 Rothwell YKS
Randerson, Fawcett, Kirby nr Harewood YKS 1700->
Marchants Sussex/Middlesex/Illinois
Walsh, Collins, Hogan, Roscmon Ireland

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: William Randerson-Millington
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 20 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hull Packet of 5th May 1829
John STOTT (23) and Hilary TAYLOR (24) were charged with stealing sundry articles of wearing apparel from the premises of William RANDERSON, of Millington. ~~

Yorkshire Gazette 18 April 1829
Recognises to appear at the East Riding Sessions
~~
Wm, RANDERSON of Millington. Wheelwright, in £30
Charles CUMBERLAND of Millington, Labourer, for the appearance of himself and Ann his wife, in £30
William WRIGHT of Millington, Labourer and Joseph DANDY, Constable, each in £20

So William was a wheelwright and the wearing apparel were  household washing which had been left on a hedge to dry.

WR does not sound like a person who would be stealing a bit of rope.