• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth
« Reply #36 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Welcome rumneyt

This brings something to my mind

My father was born in South Shields 1908
and they moved to Newsham Blyth after his birth as the next baby was born 1911 Blyth

I don't know when the family moved on to Spittal thus my grandfather being a railway worker but can I ask if there is any record around that time of a horse and cart (not being able to stop ) going into the river at Blyth with a small boy on the cart being drowned

The reason I am asking is my father was deaf and the family story goes he saw a horse and cart go into the river and the  little boy sitting on the cart was drowned

Leaving my father a small boy deaf

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Bill_r

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 29 November 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I remember the stage coach coming round our street and picking kids up.
I lived in Hambledon Street at the time and I seemed to think it cost a penny a ride.

Great experience and great memories.

Bill.
Names.
Anderson, Balmer, Bell, Bulmer, Burn, Cowan, Ferguson, Easton, Elliott, Heir, Hunter, Johnstone, Leadbitter, Riley, McMenan.

Places.
Ashington, Blyth, Gateshead, Hirst, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, North Shields, Ryhope, South Shields, Tweedmouth, Whitehaven, Ireland.

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I posted a comment about the stagecoach on October 25th 2010.  I lived in Salisbury Street and can remember it coming round there in the early sixties.  It was great to think you were in the wild west.  It used to stop at the back lane towards the bottom of Disraeli Street and Salisbury Street.  I don't know where my mother got the money from as she never had much but we always got a ride on the stagecoach.

It would be nice if you posted a piccy of the stagecoach to bring back the memories.

When I talk about it nowadays everybody thinks I am away with the pixies!!  Ha ha, now they will know I'm not!!

Barbara
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline rumneyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara, it's strange the number of responses I had from the article I placed in Blyth local paper who thought they had 'imagined' the stagecoach ride!! Even though we were his grandchildren we still had to find our pennies to pay for a ride around the 'Wild West'.  The reason for my asking if anyone remembered my grandfather is because I have started researching my family and it appears that Ned had quite a colourful past i.e. fighting in the Spanish Civil War.  For some reason the photo would not send yesterday as an attachment , so I'll try again with this post.
Jenny
Rumney, Thomas, Thompson, Mellia/Malia, Kane
Northumberland, Durham, Scotland, South Yorkshire, Ireland

Offline Bill_r

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 19:06 GMT (UK) »
"For some reason the photo would not send yesterday as an attachment , so I'll try again with this post.
Jenny"

Jenny, two things I found out when trying to attache a photo.

1. Don't try to preview it.
2. The file name may need to be changed.

Bill.

Names.
Anderson, Balmer, Bell, Bulmer, Burn, Cowan, Ferguson, Easton, Elliott, Heir, Hunter, Johnstone, Leadbitter, Riley, McMenan.

Places.
Ashington, Blyth, Gateshead, Hirst, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, North Shields, Ryhope, South Shields, Tweedmouth, Whitehaven, Ireland.

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill I noticed some of the names on your research and they rang a bell.  Bulmer, Easton and Heir.  Were they from Blyth? That's where I came from so it can only be from there that I remember them.

Barbara
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline Bill_r

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill I noticed some of the names on your research and they rang a bell.  Bulmer, Easton and Heir.  Were they from Blyth? That's where I came from so it can only be from there that I remember them.

Barbara

Hi. Barbara,

Yes their all from Blyth, although I only recently found the Easton's were related through the 1841 census.

My mother was Dora Riley (nee Bulmer). She was the daughter of William Bulmer and Susannah Balmer. At the time of her birth William was a general dealer and living in Stephen Street. Cowpen Quay.

Bill.

Names.

Places.

Offline rumneyt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bill, I've forwarded photo to Philip Hodgetts who is kindly going to sort it out for me.

Regards
Jenny
Rumney, Thomas, Thompson, Mellia/Malia, Kane
Northumberland, Durham, Scotland, South Yorkshire, Ireland

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bill, I've forwarded photo to Philip Hodgetts who is kindly going to sort it out for me.

Regards
Jenny

Here you go. Absolutely wonderful to see. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Ned Thomas with his horse Silver and the Blyth Stagecoach from the 50's.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.