Author Topic: Blyth  (Read 45643 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Blyth
« on: Monday 11 January 10 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, anybody fancy a little reminiscence? I was brought up in Cowpen and, Blyth being my home town.... well the soft spot and all that. Some fantastic pictures have come to my attention recently which I am trying to add captions to. For those not bothered about the town, it doesn't matter there are still some great pictures to be seen.

PM me or use my email address a the bottom of the page.

Blyth is a very historic place an quite number of 'firsts' have taken place there over the years. Shame it has been hit by such hard times as the pits and power stations closing. Innovative folk will turn it around though.

http://www.davidheyscollectionextra.com/page15.htm

I hope you enjoy looking.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 10 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Wow, I bet that took some time.  Haven't read it all yet but I will.

It's amazing how easy it is to forget what the place used to look like.

Well done!

Christine

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 10 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip

I'm from 'down south' but my father's family were from Durham and further back there are relatives from Cowpen, so this looks like being a useful site.

Thanks for the post

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 10 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Got to thank you for putting this into Rootschat
I was looking for Newsham Station but sadly couldn't find it but did enjoy looking through

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 10 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Were you looking for pictures of Newsham?

Goggle Blyth & Tyne Railway or try here;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jimpringle/theblythandtynerailway/

http://erniesphotos.fotopic.net/

You will find something for sure.

Philip

PS All the credit for my page link should be given to David Hey who owns the website. My offerings have just been photo dating and some memories as I was growing up in the 1970's in Blyth. Sadly I missed the hey day of the port, but then I'd be anything up to 20 years older than I am which is unacceptable  ;)
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 10 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once more
Just found a nice picture to order of Newsham Station
My grandfather was a porter there around 1913 to the 20s

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Some of us can remember Blyth port being busy and ships being launched from the shipyard and you didn't miss it by much.

In 1961 the tonnage of coal shipped out of Blyth was greater than from any other port in Europe - almost 7 million tons!

Christine

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Anybody any idea which ship it was when launched from Cowpen Quay shot across the river and crashed into the North Staith? It is believed this took place between 1930 and 1960

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 March 10 18:56 GMT (UK) »
An update for any of you interested, the launch mishap took place in 1948 and the errant vessel was the Nusken built for Whal of Oslo, Norway. I don't have an exact launch date yet but have minions of mine searching and grilling locals in an effort to find out. I think I will become the notorious PBI 'Philip's Beareau of Intelligence' at the rate I am going in Blyth.  :o

Philip

An image of the vessel in its later guise as the Arion can been seen here;

http://www.hma.org.il/Museum/UploadFiles/pgallery/1688381446.jpg