Author Topic: BRUNTON..Stow Selkirk  (Read 15770 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BRUNTON..Stow Selkirk
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 April 14 14:43 BST (UK) »
Steven….Are you related to this family??

Hello
I have been doing some research on the Bruntons.  Margaret Brunton died in 1855 leaving three illegitimate daughters.  The eldest of these daughters was Janet Dodds, born c1850 in Stow.
She had an illegitimate son William Johnstone Dodds (1867-1942).  William dropped the Dodds and married Mary Horsburgh in 1891.  They adopted Ruth Elizabeth Brown (1893-1984).  Ruth was the daughter of Andrew Robb and Margaret Brown Brunton, a cousin of William.  She took the surname Johnstone, married John Capell in 1919 and emigrated to Canada.
William Brunton died in 1853 and Janet Notman in 1847.  They had at least three surviving dtrs Janet, Margaret and Elizabeth and a son William.

Regards

Steven
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline lostintimeandpace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BRUNTON..Stow Selkirk
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 May 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
I am seeking a Margaret Brunton who died 1855 (have cert) age 27

Also have 1851 census for her and her father WILLIAM Brunton

He had a wife Janet Notman and it looks like she predec' him

Only William Brunton who married a Janet Notman I can see is a Peebles marriage in 08/06/1821

Only children from that I can see from them are

JANET   31/03/1822          PEEBLES 
JAMES   25/01/1824         PEEBLES
MARGARET 05/10/1825    ST CUTHBERT'S
JEAN           31/07/1827   ST CUTHBERT'S
ELIZABETH  15/06/1832    ST CUTHBERT'S

A WILLIAM BRUNTON was born in Peebles and baptised 18/11/1827. He was the son of WILLIAM BRUNTON/ISABELLA HALL. They were married in Peebles on the 07/04/1820.

William was described as a weaver, son of John Brunton, servant at Haystoun (a big estate house on the outskirts of Peebles)
Isabel was described as the son of John Hall, carrier of Peebles.