Author Topic: BRUNTON..Stow Selkirk  (Read 15767 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BRUNTON..Stow Selkirk
« on: Saturday 12 February 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Seeking some help and have several questions: (from Canada)

Where is/was ... Redhead,Stow c1850 ish plus? Have tried google map,no luck.
Is there a cemetery there? If so..does anyone have MI for that.

I am seeking a Margaret Brunton who died 1855 (have cert) age 27

Also have 1851 census for her and her father WILLIAM Brunton...tried death
1855 + for him..nothing..so I believe he died pre 1855
He had a wife Janet Notman and it looks like she predec' him .

I believe a son William Brunton born c 1828 ish lived there..with luck maybe died there too.

Hoping for  a clue on this family.

Thanks in advance for reading and for any suggestions and /or help.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline epfedin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRUNTON..Stow Selkirk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 February 11 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Have alook at the old Ordnance Survey maps on the National Library of Scotland website.  There is an Old Redhead near to Clovenfords on the Selkirkshire map. Most of Stow Parish was in Edinburghshire so it would be worth checking that map as well.  Stow MI have been recorded by Borders Family History Society but not been poublished yet.

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 February 11 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There was a cousin, William, living with them in 1851. If you go onto familysearch igi and put only the parents names plus region and country in you will find other children of theirs but no William. Janet b Peebles, 1822; James b 1824, Peebles; Margaret b 1825, St Cuthberts, Edinburgh;  Jean b 1827; Elizabeth b 1832, St Cuthberts, Edinburgh;
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 February 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Here’s a link to Redhead and the Brunton family in the 1851 census transcription that also has a link to both modern Google maps and the historic maps available form NLS that have been mentioned: http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=69909004

Hope it helps,

Emma

Offline adamheatlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 February 11 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I have an Agnes Brunton (b 1789) in my tree. Her daughter Christian married a Robert Heatlie.

As an aside, I have found a family of David Brunton Heatlie (b 1874) from Roberton, Selkirshire. I have yet to find where the Brunton comes from, but quite a few of his children carry the Brunton middle name.
Heatlie

Offline Gaberston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have been doing some research on the Bruntons.  Margaret Brunton died in 1855 leaving three illegitimate daughters.  The eldest of these daughters was Janet Dodds, born c1850 in Stow.
She had an illegitimate son William Johnstone Dodds (1867-1942).  William dropped the Dodds and married Mary Horsburgh in 1891.  They adopted Ruth Elizabeth Brown (1893-1984).  Ruth was the daughter of Andrew Robb and Margaret Brown Brunton, a cousin of William.  She took the surname Johnstone, married John Capell in 1919 and emigrated to Canada.
William Brunton died in 1853 and Janet Notman in 1847.  They had at least three surviving dtrs Janet, Margaret and Elizabeth and a son William.

Regards

Steven

Offline Cathiemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 August 11 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,   Has anyone come across my grt.grt.grt. grandmother Margaret Brunton  born around 1751  (There is a Margaret born at Kelso 1751 but not sure if that is her).She married Thomas Storry born around 1750  (a blacksmith) and lived  at Lanton Jedburgh .  I can't find  where they are buried or any information about them, except for their names on some of their sons death certificates &  births in family search.
                            Cathiemay

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 September 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
I have found a family of David Brunton Heatlie (b 1874) from Roberton, Selkirshire.

There was a William Brunton born in Roberton on November 4th 1875, son to David Brunton and Elizabeth Heatlie.

This David Brunton is described as an agricultural labourer.

David Brunton was born around 1835 in Carnwarth, son to William Scott Brunton (born 28th March 1808 in Yarrow) and Janet Inglis, grandson of David Brunton from Yarrowford)

He married Eliza Heatlie, born Bowden, Roxburghshire around 1834 in Roberton on 06 December 1861

They had several children - Christina, Janet, Elizabeth, Mary, Williamina and William (possibly more).

There is another Brunton family (William Brunton and Isabella Scott) that came from Yarrow (Mount Benger school to be exact, son of Robert Brunton, grandson of David Brunton from Yarrowford) who gave birth to a son called Adam Scott Brunton in 1875 also in Roberton (one of 9 children, 5 girls and 4 boys).

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 April 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
David Brunton was born around 1835 in Carnwarth, son to William Scott Brunton (born 28th March 1808 in Yarrow) and Janet Inglis,

Due to a court case in 1834 the actual father of David is dubious to say the least. Its possible his father was a Richard Hill.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI

Reference:
HO 17/22/13

"a child the victim is carrying is the prisoners"