Author Topic: taking photos of old photos - advice!  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
taking photos of old photos - advice!
« on: Saturday 12 February 11 21:35 GMT (UK) »

I went to visit a 90 year old cousin a couple months back and was astounded when she pulled out several albums containing photos of our shared ancestors, most going back about 100 years or more, including several of my great x3 grandfather, and one of a great x4 grandmother.  Not to mention she has several fabulous ones of my great great grandparents behind glass on her wall. The photos in the albums are in incredible condition, however the albums they are mounted in are quite frail and I wouldn't want to try to remove them or flatten the albums over a scanner.

I have a feeling that these will go to her own children eventually. However she thinks it is wonderful that I am interested and is happy for me to make copies. My father has already taken a few photos of the photos with his camera which takes good high resolution  (but only jpg format). Considering we weren't expecting this and didn't have tripod or anything but the camera on hand, most came out surprisingly well but a few are blurry and some have reflection from an overhead light. The photos behind glass didn't come out at all of course, and although she said we could take them down and out of their frames, we just didn't have enough time.

I plan to invest in a dSLR or 4/3 camera in order to re-take the photos in raw format (well it's not the only reason I want to upgrade my non-digital SLR and my digital point and shoot, but it is a good reason!). I will also bring tripod and a music stand or some other method of propping up the albums.

I would love any advice or tips on reproducing these photos (particularly lighting).

Offline SUFFOLK BOY

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: taking photos of old photos - advice!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 February 11 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I take all my photos with digital camara,my advice is take photos in sunlight and put your finger over the flash as this stops reflection, never had any problems with this method hope this is useful for you.Neil.
Brown and Oakley family Glemsford and Lavenham Suffolk,Simpson, Stewart/Steward,Hartley,Hardy family all Lavenham. Pepper family Herringswell, Wakerley & Suffolk.Chapman and Pattle family  Suffolk. Desmond family from cork Ireland and London. Anybody wants information on the Brown family from Suffolk let me know would be glad to help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 February 11 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful advice. My tip is to keep the camera lens parallel with the picture to prevent distortion.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 February 11 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both. Any advice will be helpful and since she lives a couple hours by boat away from me, I want to try to get it right the first time.

I planned on turning off the flash and hope that there will be sunlight, but it is difficult to predict in this part of the world.

I was thinking too about keeping the lens parallel and though that a level might be a good thing to take with me? A salesman at the camera shop recommended a tripod that pivots so that the camera is horizontal, making it possible to photograph the albums laid out on a table, but I thought this might cause shadow.

Offline SUFFOLK BOY

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 February 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I think the salesman was after a sale,if you've got a steady hand everything will be alright.
Brown and Oakley family Glemsford and Lavenham Suffolk,Simpson, Stewart/Steward,Hartley,Hardy family all Lavenham. Pepper family Herringswell, Wakerley & Suffolk.Chapman and Pattle family  Suffolk. Desmond family from cork Ireland and London. Anybody wants information on the Brown family from Suffolk let me know would be glad to help.

Offline john_w

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 February 11 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I disagree, it sounds as if the salesman knew exactly what he was talking about. This is how I do it, I am not suggesting it is the only way.

I use  a camera with a macro lens (ie one that will focus very close).
I put the item to be copied on the floor - less risk of vibration.
I use a small spirit level to check that the item is level. Up and down the page as well as across. The reason being that the depth of field (ie the amount actually in focus is VERY small at near distances).
I mount the camera on a tripod over the item and put the spirit level on the back of the camera to be sure it is level and, therefore, parallel to the item being copied.
If the camera has Image Stabilisation (IS) that should be turned off.
Set the ISO speed to a low number for minimum noise on the final image.
Set the shutter for delayed firing (as you would if you wanted to be in the picture yourself) as that will minimise vibration.
Check the internet for a review of your lens to find out which apertures provide the sharpest image and use the smallest one (ie the biggest f number) as that will give good definition and as much depth of field as possible.
Turn the flash off if possible. If not cover it with a layer or two of tissue paper to minimise glare and possible reflection.
I use natural light wherever possible. If the light is too directional (perhaps bright sunlight from a window) then either a large mirror on the opposite side to reflect the light back OR an old net curtain to diffuse the direct light will help.
Take at least three images. One at whatever exposure the camera suggests as correct and bracket one stop up and down. That should enable you to see highlight and shadow detail that may not be so clear in the "correctly" exposed image.

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Great advice thank you

Did you have any problems with shadow when placing your item on the floor and using macro?

I might try a practice run at home after purchasing the camera... I am little worried about the quality of the image in low light (just from reviews of the camera). Thankfully she has a sliding glass door which brings in light from the south so hopefully this will give me enough light.

Offline john_w

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a tripod ( a Manfrotto) where the centre column can be positioned horizontally putting the camera well clear of any shadow thrown by the legs.

Poor image performance at low light levels arises from using a high ISO setting. A high setting can be necessary to enable a   fast enough shutter to stop movement. When copying the subject doesn't move so you can use a low ISO setting for maximum quality and a long shutter speed to get the exposure correct. I had a look at some of my copy images and some of them have  a shutter speed of 3 or 4 seconds.

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 February 11 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your advice, it is going to come in handy.

I'm now looking forward to my camera purchase!