Author Topic: Quaker & other Non Conformist Ancestors  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
Quaker & other Non Conformist Ancestors
« on: Sunday 13 February 11 07:27 GMT (UK) »
The new Family Search website www.FamilySearch.org makes it far easier to trace Quaker ancestors & other Non Conformist baptisms & burials.  I was mainly interested in Lothersdale & already had details of some Quaker burials in Lothersdale which were recorded in the register at Settle such as:-

William Slater of Lothersdale in the Parish of Carlton and County of York died the 2nd and was buried the 5th of the 8th Month 1759 in the Burying Place of the Friends at Lothersdale aforesaid.

I keyed in just Lothersdale & was amazed at the wealth of burial entries that came up. I have details of about 250 burials but have yet to record details of all baptisms but can easily provide details of burials for those interested.

The website also provides Non Conformist records such as the primitive Methodist baptisms at Whittinghall Fold in Lothersdale.  I have full details of baptisms from 1815 to 1837 which can also be provided eg:-

Alice daughter of Peter & Jane Hartley born 10 July 1819 and baptised 10 May 1819 - Oakcliff, Lothersdale. Occupation of father - weaver
 ;D
Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker & other Non Conformist Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi I have just come across this post and wondered what connection you have to William Slater?

He is connected through marriage to the King family as he married Mary King around March 1691/2.

I wonder what more you might know about him as I have not found any children for them as yet.

With thanks and kind regards,
Jon

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker & other Non Conformist Ancestors
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 16 17:03 BST (UK) »
The William Slater in my post was not related to me but was just the first entry in the Register of Burials for Quakers in the Settle area 1759-1756.

I have Slater ancestry through John Slater (8 x great grandfather)
Baptised 30 Apr 1693 Thornton in Craven
Married Elizabeth Briggs on 30 Apr 1693 Thornton in Craven
Burial: on 28 Dec 1734 Thornton in Craven

Sorry I can't be of any help,

Agnes AKA Binkie
Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)