Author Topic: Link: GRIFFITH'S VALUATION & LANDS RECORDS  (Read 38451 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GRIFFITH'S VALUATION & LANDS RECORDS
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 September 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Townlands, Parishes, etc.
Counties are made up of parishes and parishes are made up of a group of townlands. If you are doing any research in Ireland these divisions become extremely important.
For further information:
www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/records/land/townland.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townland
www.ancestryireland.com/database.php?filename=townlands
To find townlands + parishes:
www.thecore.com/seanruad (change default setting from exact match to find part of a word)
www.logainm.ie/?menuItem=about&uiLang=en
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Griffiths Valuation - printing maps?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 December 10 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me how to print off a small section of an old map on the Griffiths Valuation site?

Or is it forbidden?

Gen in Northumberland England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths Valuation - printing maps?
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 December 10 15:32 GMT (UK) »
I think it's fine to print out sections of the maps - as long as they are for personal or family use, and not republished in any way.

Depends of what graphics programs you have, but one way to do it is with a screen shot and MSPaint...it's a bit techie ... but as follows :

1. browse to the map Griffith's map you want to print
2. screenshot your browser window using ALT-Printscreen
3. start MSPaint (usually in Start/Programs./Accessories)
4. select edit / paste from the menu
5. your screenshot will now appear

if you want to crop this to exclude the browser section of the image try :

1. pick the 'select' tool - dashed rectangle (usually on the bar to the left)
2. select the required map area from your image
3. select edit / copy from the menu
4. select file / new from the menu to start a fresh image
  (answer No to the 'save changes to untitled question)
5. select edit / paste from the menu to show just your selection
6. now print!

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline montie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 September 11 02:23 BST (UK) »
I have a question about the maps: what does "B.M." mean? you can find it everywhere, as in "B.M. on Battlement", "B.M. on sill of Door", "B.M. on Milestone", etc.
Bradley (Liverpool, Toxteth Park / Co. Sligo, Co. Tyrone); Wheler/Wheeler  (Poole, Liverpool); Ganly (Co. Roscommon / Edinburgh); Kilculllen (Co. Sligo); Lush (Dorset); Dignan (Co. Sligo); Hoare (Co. Roscommon)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 September 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
I have a question about the maps: what does "B.M." mean? you can find it everywhere, as in "B.M. on Battlement", "B.M. on sill of Door", "B.M. on Milestone", etc.

Ar you finding this abbreviation on Griffith's maps?

Added- B.M. on Ordnance Survey maps is Bench Mark
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/aboutus/reports/misc/abbreviations.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ConJPower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Conas atá tú ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 14:37 BST (UK) »
regarding matching a reference map number on the griffiths index to a place on the actual mpas ...

i have a map reference number "35  4", and the numbering on the map stops at 31.  I know the reference in question is pointed at a house in a village street - was just wondering does anyone know how to pinpoint a specific house, that is reference in the index, but whose number doesnt show up in the map
Power, Furlong, Breen, Wyse, Roche, Prendergast, Murphy {Wexford}.
Fagan, Warde, Kearney {Kildare/Dublin}.
Rickard, Hoy, Sheridan {Dublin}.
Sullivan, Lee, Cronin, Blows {London}

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 20:13 GMT (UK) »
The maps on AskAboutIreland date from much later (some are from the 1880s) than the published returns, so can be missing some of the properties listed on the valuation.

The best maps to use are the ones available in the Valuation Office or those on the computers in the National Library and National Archives, which have a subscription link to the OriginsNetwork website.

These maps are from around the time of the valuation, but more difficult to read and in black & white - which is part of the reason that AskAboutIreland used the later clearer maps.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 20:37 GMT (UK) »
The AskAboutIreland website gives the valuation publication date as just the year, when in fact a more  precise date is included at the front of the return. This can be useful detail for checking borderline dates, to verify if the possible entries on the return fit your clues. The publication date is usually within a month or two of the date of the final survey.

It's slightly 'techie', but here's how you get to the page with the publication date on it.

Locate a possible entry in the returns and view the original return in a new tab or browser window (right click on the larger icon under the 'original page' column and select 'open in new window'). Look towards the top of your browser for the URL or web address. You should have something like :

....griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/zoomifyDynamicViewer.php?file=292012&path=......

The important section is the last three digits of the file number, highlighted in bold above. Carefully alter these three digits to 001  (zero zero one), and press return... you should get to the first page of the valuation volume.

Below is an example of the major text on this page :

Comprising a portion of the Union of Rathdown
Primary Valuation of the Several Tenements in Said Barony

The meeting for the hearing of Appeals against the Primary Valuation of the Barony above named will held in the Session-House at Enniskerry on Tuesday 13th day of April 1852
    Richard Griffith, Commissioner of Valuation

Dated at the General Valuation Office, No 2 Fitzwilliam Place
   Dublin this 2nd day of February 1852

Notices of intention to Appeal against the Valuation of any Tenement must be addressed to the Clerk of the Board of Guardians, and lodged at the Workhouse of the Union in which such tenements are located.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 June 12 20:59 BST (UK) »
Details of Griffith's Valuation may be searched by name or location on the AskAboutIreland website. As well as transcriptions, you can also view maps of the locations, and images of the forms.

see : http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

AskAboutIreland also includes an article by John Grenham on the Valuation :

What is Griffith's Valuation?     (5 pages)

Some useful notes on the Valuation are available as an Adobe Reader (.pdf) file on the Leitrim-Roscommon website.

see : http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFITH/Griffiths.PDF
My Surname Interests