Author Topic: Catholic parish records  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Paddyfrances

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catholic parish records
« on: Monday 14 February 11 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm trying to find the baptism and parents of Henry Mariner/Marriner/Merner etc who was born circa 1808 on the Isle of Man.
I'm now starting to think he may have been christened catholic.
I've found some other Mariner's in a burial index for Bradden.
Could anyone tell me if any catholic records are on line or can anyone point me in the right direction.
Many thanks,
paddyfrances

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic parish records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
did you find the entries on my website www.manxnotebook.com/parishes/rcath/rc_bapts.htm
which is a transcript of thew manx bapts found in records of the mother church of Father Kavanagh in Dublin
1st note that such records are sparse - they are translated from Latin so some names might be confused - at thais period there were very few Manx born catholics (see my review article) thus you are seeing mostly transient families tho there did develop a mostly Irish born RC community which then developed Manx roots
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Paddyfrances

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
Yes, I've seen these when I looked through your site last night.
I found your site extremely interesting.
The rest of my ancestors were irish catholic's who settled in Scotland and England at the time of the famine, I had no idea that irish families had moved to the Isle of Man even earlier.
I'm starting to think my Henry's parents were Patrick Mariner and Catherine Carron but at the moment it really is just a hunch.
There is conflicting evidence in our family as to whether Henry's own children were baptised catholic or protestant.
I haven't been able to find them in the church of england records but then I'm having to rely on the IGI as I live in Washington in the the north east and it's virtually impossible for me to get to Whitehaven to go through the original records.
I'm going to ring St Begh's catholic church in the morning to ask if they can dip into their registers for any of Henry's children so I'll know one way or the other what religion they were.
I do appreciate the information and pointers you have taken the time to give me, thank you,
Patricia

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 May 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia,

My Torrens family lived a short time on the IOM, before moving over to Whitehaven. They would have been in County Down at the time of the 1841 Census, they arrived in Douglas about 1842, then Whitehaven about 1847. I found mention of them on the IOMFHS site (they were also Catholics).

Stephen