Author Topic: McIlfactrick origins  (Read 15910 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIlfactrick origins
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 March 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hope to sit down later with notes from my file and see if I can sort out any of this... either that or what I find will add more confusion  :D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McCallister

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 March 13 00:55 GMT (UK) »
In all the US census info there is no middle letter or name for either Mary or Annie.  I found an
Annie on a ship register leaving from Glascow, (1886) but never found where Mary emigrated from, just the date 1882 when she was in Detroit MI.  It could be she had a baby, and left town.  Don't know
anything about a brother John either.  Annie was my husband's grandmother, and didn't choose to share much of her history.  She and Mary both worked as domestics in Detroit when they first came to US.  I haven't been able to verify any birth records in Ireland or Scotland for her or Mary, just trying
to put some pieces of the puzzle together.  thanks for the above information. The more pieces
the better.

Offline Kilrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 March 13 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I found the Marriage Certificate of Marry which does list her parents as Hugh and Jane and her husband Dugald was born in Scotland but I cannot find any details of Annies,do you have?

Do you have anything to link the 2 sisters to Kilrea?

If both were born in Kilrea,theye were more than likely registered at Coleraine or Ballymoney, maybe even Ballymena( I am originally from Kilrea but registred in Ballymoney as thats where the hospaital was), have you tried looking for them with the various spelling of McIlfatrick?

Offline McCallister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 March 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I have copies of both Mary's and annie's marriage records.  Mary was married in 1894, Annie in
1889. They were both married in Windsor Ontario Canada.  Both records show parents of the sisters were Hugh and Jane McIlfatrick.  annie always said she was born in Kilrea, but that her family had come over from Scotland. That's what led me to check census for Ayrshire Scotland and find Hugh. She never indicated she had brothers or sisters  but that doesn't mean she didn't have them. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 March 13 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Will deal with the 'Scottish' problem first.

"There is some indication they may have come over from Scotland. I can find Hugh in Scotland at age 14, but no other sign of them." and "There was a rumor that the family could have come from Scotland, and I found Hugh born there about 1840, that might have worked age-wise."
"How did you find Hugh in Scotland as wondering if is descended from John who went from Ireland to Glasgow,whose father was also called Hugh born 1790?" and "Within the family there is rumour that he is descended from someone in Maybole,Scotland.Hugh b1837 is listed in the 1851 cencus as being born in Ireland but living in Maybole so this seems to be the correct McIlfatricks." and "Unconfirmed that the family came from Scotland to Ireland. When checking Scotland records I found a 1851 census from Maypole, Ayrshire with parents John and Helen McIlfatrick, with children James 31, Jane 18, Mary Ann 16, Hugh 14, Sarah 11, William John 9."

This Hugh McIlfatrick was the son of John McIlfatrick/Kilpatrick (born c1797 Crossland) and Eleanor Gilmore (born c1802 Boveedy). The family went to Maybole, Scotland bet.1842/1851 and then on to Victoria, Australia. In the 1851 Maybole census you will notice 3 young men from Ireland lodging in the household- one of these, John Logan, married John and Eleanor's eldest daughter Jane and they went to Australia in 1862.

Offline Kilrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 March 13 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thnks, on 1851 census are father John 52, mother Helen 49,son James 21,daughter Jane1 8,daughter Maryann 16, son Hugh 14,daughter Sarah 11 and youngest son William John 9.There is indeed a lodger called Joan Logan?Is the name Helen a different version of Eleanor?

Did all the Family including Hugh go to Australia as in the 1861 census John & Helen are still there with the youngest son William John,the others are not listed?

I thought the father John might have been the son of Hugh b.1790 who married married Mary Killough from Gortahar,but lived in Londonderry.Their children were James,Maryann, Margaret and John who went to Glasgow but the DOB does not work.

I presume coincidence that name Hugh and name Maryann crop up in different family of McIlfatricks ,any information to what happened to this John McIlfatrick who also went to Scotland from Londonderry?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 March 13 22:43 GMT (UK) »
In Ireland (and family records) Eleanor is also called Ellen but in Scottish records the more common (in Scotland) form of the name is Helen. The McIlfatricks and Logans left for Australia 1862. John and Jane Logan, and 3 children, are in 1861 census in Maybole. There were quite a few McIlfatrick children (including an earlier Mary Ann and Hugh that died young) and from memory all the surviving children ended up in Australia.

I thought the father John might have been the son of Hugh b.1790 who married married Mary Killough from Gortahar,but lived in Londonderry.Their children were James,Maryann, Margaret and John who went to Glasgow but the DOB does not work.
This is probably the next problem to clear up. I have seen various 'sources' which say John went to Glasgow but I believe this is inccorect (unless he went to Scotland for a very short period).

Children of Hugh McIlfatrick & Mary Killough:
1.   Jane McIlfatrick (26 May 1833), bapt. 7 June 1833 1st Kilrea.
2.   James McIlfatrick (c1836-8 July 1904 Claragh), bapt. 31 Jan.1836 1st Kilrea.
3.   child (16 June 1838), bapt. 1 July 1838 1st Kilrea.
4.   Mary McIlfatrick (2 Apr.1841), bapt. 29 Apr.1841 1st Kilrea.
5.   Margaret McIlfatrick m.(1854). Alexander McClister/McLeister.
?6.   John McIlfatrick m.1 (1853) Mary Michael; m.2 (1876) Mary Ann Murphy.

There is also-
Hugh McIlfatrick Jr. (illegitimate son of Hugh McIlfatrick Sr), Claragh, m.(1845) Margaret Jane McKay, dau. of John McKay & Eliza McIlfatrick.

Offline Kilrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 18 March 13 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Very briefly, I noticed you mentioned before that John McIlfatrick was married twice first to Mary Michael and then Mary Ann Murphy but on his marriage certificate his father is listed as John a labourer & later marriage Hugh a farmer which made me think this was 2 different people.

Are Hugh & John the same person?

Offline McCallister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 13:22 GMT (UK) »
this is a technical question:  throughout these postings it is mentioned "1st Kilrea," or
" 2nd Kilrea".  what does this refer to?
If they are church records, what is the church?
I noticed in many of the census that someone posted many of the McIlfatricks
were Presbyterian.  Was this common in that area of Kilrea?  I assumed that
much of Ireland was catholic.