Author Topic: McIlfactrick origins  (Read 15908 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIlfactrick origins
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 13:33 GMT (UK) »
The area was a mixture of religions (mainly Church of Ireland, Roman Catholic and Presbyterian)- most of the non-Catholic families were of Scottish Presbyterian stock.

The churches are 1st Kilrea Presbyterian Church and 2nd Kilrea Presbyterian Church. There were also Presbyterian churches outside Kilrea at Boveedy, Tamlaght O'Crilly, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline COCOBELLE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 July 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
hi,

just came across this McIlfatrick thread. I don't know if there is any connection but here goes :

My great-grandfather was John Mullan, Claragh, Kilrea.   he had a brother
their parents were Patrick Mullen and Jane McElfatrick married 1864

Jane's father was Hugh McElfatrick

When my granny was alive ( she died about 23 years ago ) she would have talked about a James McIlfatrick, who would probably have been a contemporary of hers. In fact I think he was related but it is so long since I looked at that branch of the tree that I am just talking off the top of my head here !!!  - just looked up and old notebook - granny had a 2nd cousin called James McIlfatrick. ( At a quick guess, he was the son of John Mullans cousin Hugh ).

angela

Offline Crossland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 27 September 13 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm another who has just found this thread. I'm part of the "Scottish" family, and can confirm that they all emigrated to Victoria or, in Hugh's case, South Australia. During their time in Scotland they adopted the name Kilpatrick.

The family came from the townland of Crossland, and I've been trying to link my ancestor John Mcilfatrick to the other families of that name in the district. There are some interesting connections through church records, etc., but the information available seems too incomplete to reliably link him to any of them.

If anyone here can shed any light, I would be most grateful.

Offline Jaca56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just recently found this site and find it interesting since I am a distant cousin of Mary Ann Murphy that was married to John McIlfatrick.
We are First cousins 3X rem. She was a granddaughter of my 3X Great Grandfather James Murphy. James was born in Londonderry in 1794. His eldest child, Mary (Mollie) Murphy married a Archibald Murphy in 1849 in Kilrea (Mary Ann's parents ) and the family stayed in Ireland while James brought the rest of the family over to Canada and settled in Southern Ontario, Chatham area. I would be interested in contacting one of the McIlfatrick clan. I know there were some in Ballymaconnelly

Offline Jaca56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 May 15 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

John got married in 2nd Kilrea Church Feb 1876 to Mary Ann Murphy,her father listed as Michael Murphy( Labourer) and his as Hugh McIlfatrick (farmer).

Their Children seem to be Hugh b.26 feb 1878 d.15th feb 1949,Archibald b. 6th Sept 1880 d.1964,Mary-Anne born 1883.

Hugh buried with James McIlfatrick d.1904 in 1st Kilrea Church but I cannot find how they are related, the gravestone is erected by a nephew also called Hugh.

I am a first cousin 3x removed of Mary Ann Murphy who married John McIlfatrick.
I have a Murphy Family Tree going back to Mary Ann's grandfather James Murphy.
On the tree, Mary Ann's parents are listed as Archibald Murphy and Mary (Mollie) Murphy d/o James Murphy and Elizabeth Reid. Archibald and Mollie were married 29 Nov 1849 in Kilrea.
You have the name Michael as her father and I have Archibald, so maybe both names are for same person. I have no paperwork other than Family Tree.
Hope this helps someone.

thx

Offline VIVIENNE MCKEE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, doing research for a friend relative of McIlfatrick, please contact, are you in N. Ireland. I am in Bangor, Co. Down - (*)

Vivienne Watson

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Kilrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 25 January 20 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vivienne,I am trying to find details of Samuel Mcilfatrick and mother possibly Mary Or Martha,yes they came from northern Ireland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 25 January 20 12:43 GMT (UK) »

Have you tried a Search like this for Civil Registrations?

LINK to results  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oxn/

Any with  Returns Page No don't have Images of Certs at moment but use Link every few months to look for updates.

Solve security Captcha and use initials to sign in, Irish Govt BDM Website. Certs are Free.

See    https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line for years etc

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 25 January 20 13:51 GMT (UK) »

This might be your Sam....in Glasgow St Antrim in 1911 Census as you've given absolutely no hint as to year born etc...

1911 Census   LINK
  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oxo/

IF so, you can check for Birth Reg for them via Link posted.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.