Author Topic: McIlfactrick origins  (Read 15906 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIlfactrick origins
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 March 13 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hugh buried with James McIlfatrick d.1904 in 1st Kilrea Church but I cannot find how they are related, the gravestone is erected by a nephew also called Hugh.

As far as I know, Hugh McIlfatrick (d.1949), Drumsara, m.(1906) Martha Johnston (d.1982)- one son James Hugh (c1912-Dec.2001) married but had no family. I remember discussing the McIlfatricks with James and he was of the opinion that his family were not related to my connections, or at least not at all recent a connection.

Will have a longer look at my notes tomorrow and see if I can add any more details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kilrea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 March 13 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Agahodowey, yes I am aware of JH Mcilfatrick(little Jimmy) he is listed as born Coleraine 1911, I suspect that James buried in same grave as Hugh(his father)is a brother that he did not know about as he died 1905.I believe they all lived in Claragh as mentioned on the Gravestone.

I presume there would be records is 1st Kilrea with details of James but I don't know how to access them.

I am not sure what your connection is but really I am trying to trace Samuel Mcilfatrick. Within the family there is rumour that he is descended from someone in Maybole,Scotland.Hugh b1837 is listed in the 1851 cencus as being born in Ireland but living in Maybole so this seems to be the correct McIlfatricks.
I  need to confirm that Hugh moved back to Kilrea area and his childern are Mary b1864,Annie b1868 and John (who married Mary Anne Murphy) grandfather of "Little Jimmy"

I am wondering if Mary could be Samuels mother and the reason we cannot find any birth records is that he was born in Sctotland or US?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 March 13 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hugh & Martha McIlfatrick in 1911- married 4 years, 1 child born/living- daughter Margery's age entered rather strangely-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Kilrea/Claragh/591891
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002811728

Birth registration for Margery McIlfatrick- also Coleraine district-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBP5-WMD

James Hugh McIlfatrick's birth registration was Coleraine district but not sure where he was actually born-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FB52-C4S

James McIlatrick (c1839-1904)-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FTFX-LWB
"Probate of the Will of James M'Ilfatrick late of Claragh County Londonderry Farmer who died 8 July 1904 granted at Londonderry to Hugh M'Ilfatrick and John Mullan Farmers"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 March 13 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure what your connection is but really I am trying to trace Samuel Mcilfatrick. Within the family there is rumour that he is descended from someone in Maybole,Scotland.Hugh b1837 is listed in the 1851 cencus as being born in Ireland but living in Maybole so this seems to be the correct McIlfatricks.
I  need to confirm that Hugh moved back to Kilrea area and his childern are Mary b1864,Annie b1868 and John (who married Mary Anne Murphy) grandfather of "Little Jimmy"
I am wondering if Mary could be Samuels mother and the reason we cannot find any birth records is that he was born in Sctotland or US?

Was your Samuel McElfatrick living in Caulhame in 1911 and married to Hessie Dougherty?

Offline Kilrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 March 13 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes married to Hessie Doherty.Have you found anything relating to his birth?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 March 13 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Supposed to have been born at Tamlaght and died 1916 WWI and his mother Mary McIlfatrick was still living at the time. Married 20 May 1902 First Garvagh Presbyterian Church.

1911 census- Samuel McElfatrick:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Bovagh/Movenis/1519660

1911 gives him as Samuel John McIlfatrick:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Bovagh/Caulhame/590678

Offline Kilrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 March 13 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I heard Samuels middle name might have been John but not confirmed until today.Any clues where his mother lived?

From the link you sent I now see that Hugh was buried with his unmarried uncle James.Jane the sister of James also lived in same house but their ages are different to what I have found.In 1851 census James b.1820,Jane b 1833 and in the 1901 census James b.1838 sister Jane b 1836.

Could some of the dates be wrong as seems strange that there are 2 Hughs with father John and Uncle James & Aunt Jane?

Offline McCallister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 March 13 14:46 GMT (UK) »
McIlfatrick information that I have:  Annie McIlfatrick born Kilrea Ireland 1868, sister Mary born
1862. Never found any birth records for either. Both sisters emigrated to Canada, then US in 1885 (Annie) and 1882 (Mary). Each married in Windsor Ontario Canada (four years apart) and each listed parents as Hugh and Jane McIlfatrick. On Annie's death certificate her maiden name is listed as Miller. Unconfirmed that the family came from Scotland to Ireland. When checking Scotland records I found a 1851 census from Maypole, Ayrshire with parents John and Helen McIlfatrick, with children James 31, Jane 18, Mary Ann 16, Hugh 14, Sarah 11, William John 9.  Age is right for this Hugh to be Mary and Annie's parent. 
   Census in Detroit for Mary just lists one child to Dougal McMillan, Anabella born about 1895.
Don't know anything about a Samuel.  Annie never spoke much of her family, but gave impression
family was not impoverished in Ireland/Scotland.  thanks for all the previous information.
I am still digesting it, as I haven't been on the site for quite awhile.
McCallister

Offline Kilrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 March 13 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi McCallister,I have the same info just trying to connect the 2 sisters to Hugh or even finding them in Kilrea.I have found a Hugh in Kilrea at his son Johns wedding in 1876 who is rumored to have come from Maybole in Scotland so this would seem to be the correct one.Do you know if the sisters had a brother?

Do you have any idea if the sisters worked as checking the records seems to be a a few Mary J Kilpatricks  and Anne J Kilpatricks (nothing listed as Mcilfatrick immigrating from Londonderry.Did both sisters have J as a middle name and do you have any idea why they immigrated.

I found a Samuel born to Mary McIlfatrick 1881/84 but she seems to have disappeared.