Author Topic: Eastwick House, Little Hampton, Evesham  (Read 6703 times)

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Eastwick House, Little Hampton, Evesham
« on: Monday 14 February 11 22:52 GMT (UK) »
My relative Daniel Bazalgette owned a house in Little Hampton called Eastwick.  He died there on 17 Jun 1838.
I can see there is an Eastwick Drive in Hampton, but an enquiry a few years back with the Evesham archives produced no results.
I'm curious what happened to the house.  He probably lived there from about 1822.  Did he build it or was it an existing house?  Could its name have been changed, or was it just demolished I wonder.  After Daniel's death his wife Margaret married Edward Rudge the botanist of Evesham, in 1841.  Presumably Eastwick was sold.

I feel that there must be some trace of this house!
Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Eastwick House, Little Hampton, Evesham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 00:33 GMT (UK) »
A quick google has produced these - which may, or may not, help.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0buj/
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/place_page.jsp?p_id=9892
http://www.worcesterbmsgh.co.uk/HamptonGreat&Little.html

As a matter of interest where did you get the Eastwick House information from?

Linda

MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried the Worcester Records Office, rather than anything at Evesham?

Our website at http://www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/ hosts information on the Evesham Index.  20,000 card references for the area are now in the safe custody of our parent society.  There is a complete list of surnames on the site.  There is no BAZALGETTE, but there is a BALHATCHET.  It may be worth a try.  From the Home page go to Worcestershire Resources in the left column, then follow the links.  There is a webmail contact to the Index holder.

If you try the Old maps site http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ and find the Eastwick Drive on the modern map, then select an early map from the selection on the right.  There appears to be a large house fractionally south west of the Manor House.  The house, with Eastwick written next to it, has a circular path/drive east of it.  It seems to be present up to and including 1954/55.

As the 'house' has some substance information may also be found in Berrow's Journal, some transcripts are available on-line.  Also some information may be held in the local commercial directories.

Hope that helps

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for the replies.
You are right, it is visible on the map, south-west of the Manor House.
I got the Eastwick name from Daniel's death announcement and another mention which I forget.
He must have named it himself even if he didn't build it.
His father's house was Eastwick Park, Great Bookham.
I will see what the society and the Worcestershire record office has.

Actually, looking at the Old Maps site, the house is till there in 1968 but not in 1973.

Many thanks again for the help!

Offline HealingOils

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 06:55 BST (UK) »
I lived in half of Eastwick House with my parents for about 12 years, from 1957. My family rented the house from a Mr Lancaster and his wife, they had a daughter called Mary. He was an eccentric and didn't treat his wife well - I have many photographs of happy times there. When we left the house was demolished to become a housing estate 'Eastwick Park Estate'
Hope this helps, happy to scan and e-mail photos
All the best
Jane

Offline HealingOils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 16:54 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure when it was demolished, we left in 1969/70 ish, possibly a couple of years after that. The house was split in two when we were living there, we lived in the half that had twelve rooms, there were (in our half) two attics, on first floor the biggest bathroom "I've ever seen, a bath you practically needed a step ladder to get into (slight exaggeration) a shower, (an airing cupboard, again very large) there were two doors either end, one of these led to the "playroom" and back stairs. There was a long corridor leading off from the bathroom to a further large bedroom. On the same floor a large bedroom and a smaller one (dressing room). On the ground floor, a study, very large sitting room/dining area, kitchen, wash room, boiler room and a pantry.
Outside the back area were garages, and usual out buildings, a wood at the back, extensive rear gardens. A coach house and stables (I think) a blind man and his wife rented the house there.
At the front, you will see when I scan in photos, the extensive lawns, a monkey puzzle tree, orchard, the house front had a drive around a huge yew tree. At the side where Mr & Mrs lancaster used to live were greenhouses and a lovely loggia.
I have the original delft tiles that were inside the fireplace, depicting religious scenes (even a stoning!)
Our relatives used to love coming down from London, going wooding, my mum had been an excellent cook (sadly she now has dementia) but I did take photographs for her to look at of Eastwick and she remembered...bless her.
I will be in touch soon with photographs
All the best
Jane
We grew up in wonderful surroundings! My older brother (one of them) converted the cellar into a "Cavern" much to the annoyance of my very strict father - Beatle mania had hit Evesham!

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
Jane,
Many thanks for these reminiscences, some of which I would love to use if possible.
I sent you a PM in reply, in case anyone thinks I ignored your post!
Rather than posting any images please email them.  I can send you a PM with my email address.
Many thanks again.

Offline HealingOils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
Yes I did get your PM (one) I'm new to this so am working my way around 'roots'
I will e-mail if you send address, won't be until w/end as busy working - which I should be doing now instead of 'playing'...as we all get carried away and embroiled in the web. Both my brothers are Luddites with no computers!
All the best
Jane

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 May 11 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Have you thought of consulting the owner of the Evesham list as it has a stack of info about the people of Evesham on it - you can find a link to it on the Bromsgrove FHS site

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin