Author Topic: 1881 census for Neville family  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Blondie1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1881 census for Neville family
« on: Tuesday 15 February 11 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I am helping a friend with some research and have found the Neville family on the 1871 census spelled  Neavle but can not find any of them on the 1881 how can they all be missing?  Is it not complete?   On the later census they are listed as Neville.

I am looking for head of family James Neville born in Ireland  in 1837 Ellen his wife 1841 also born in Ireland

The children on the 1871 are James  1864     all children were born in Gloucestershire and lived in Bristol
Kate 1866
Mary 1868
Thomas  1870
Gibson  Rushton Woodcock Brownhill Marchant/Merchant  Watts  Coleman Hepworth Senior Robinson, Howard Woodall/Woodhall,  Dunbar, Reed/Read.  Allchurch, Rigney Shepherd

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census for Neville family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I can't find them either.  In answer to your question about whether the census is complete or not - we can never know if any historical records really are complete.  I know from personal experience how many of my friends have been missed off census counting in recent years, so I am sure that has always happened.  Also, we rely mostly on transcripts - first the enumerator makes their notes, then they transfer them to a record book, which gets copied and someone has to transcribe - heaps of opportunity for mistakes to be made, names to be copied wrongly, whole pages to be missed off, etc.  Add to that the fact that sometimes even the official records go missing or get destroyed.    I did check if there were any known issues with the 1881 census (i.e. obviously missing volumes that had been reporte)  and there didn't appear to be, but that still doesn't mean that it is complete.

You may end up finding them at some point.  Someone might come across a really bad transcript and submit corrections and suddenly you will be able to find them in the indexes.  I know I have been doing that for SENNETTs  - there have been some that would have been impossible to find before, the way they were indexed, but I have had them corrected.

Offline scuda-j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Were they in Bristol in 1891 as well as 1871?

Jane
PITMAN (Glos - Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Stow, Tewkesbury, Cirencester, etc)

Offline Blondie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes they were in Bristol Ellen was 40  James 46   Annie 14 Richard 10 and Thomas was 20.

James died in 1897 and Ellen in 1906.

Thank you for answering me

Gibson  Rushton Woodcock Brownhill Marchant/Merchant  Watts  Coleman Hepworth Senior Robinson, Howard Woodall/Woodhall,  Dunbar, Reed/Read.  Allchurch, Rigney Shepherd

Offline Blondie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Corrine for looking for me    :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Free BMD has a birth registration for Richard Neville  Dec quarter 1881  and Family Search pilot has the baptism showing the birth as 6th October 1881.
The birth certificate would give you an address if you are documenting these facts.

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blondie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.   We wanted to know where they  were in 1881 and have tried doing an address search on FindMyPast but it did not help at all.    They must be there somewhere.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
yes I have looked in 1881 too but no joy. They may be missing for some reason rather than mistranscribed.
I was thinking that as there was a child born later that year, the birth certificate would have an address for 1881- albeit it may not be the one they were at on the night of the census - it would be a few months later.
You could however compare the birth registration address with the census as an address search if they don't turn up in the meantime.
I don't know if you have searched the baptisms but there are children named who aren't in the censuses and one isn't in the birth indexes that I could see. (Of course, that's assuming I have the right parents).

good luck
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blondie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 14:45 GMT (UK) »
We have tried the address on the birth certificate but they were not there.    Good luck is what we need  but thank you for helping.

:)