Author Topic: Matthew Cullen  (Read 20425 times)

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew Cullen
« on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Looking for more information on Matthew Cullen and his family from Ballinguile, Wicklow.

Matthew was born about 1815 and married Mary Doyle from Dublin.  Her parents were Michael and Bridget Doyle. 

Catherine Cullen was born about 1829 and was also from Ballinguile, Wicklow.  She may be related to Matthew.

Matthew and Mary, along with her parents, migrated to Connecticut around 1849 and then on to Ohio a few years later.

Thanks,
Jackie
Matthew O'Brien (County Carlow or Wicklow) and Catherine Cullen (Ballinguile Wicklow)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Cullen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what religion your Cullen family were ?

The townland of Ballinguile is in the Civil parish of Kiltegen, which is in the RC parish of Hacketstown, which is actually based in Co. Carlow.

Baptism records for this RC parish go back to 1827, and marriages to 1828. See RC Parish of Hacketstown  (Irish Times)

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Matthew Cullen was Roman Catholic.
Matthew O'Brien (County Carlow or Wicklow) and Catherine Cullen (Ballinguile Wicklow)

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 11 21:48 BST (UK) »
In the 1901 census there was Ann Cullen still living in Ballinguile she was  listed as a cottage keeper and a widow. My gr.grandmother was a Bridget Byrne from Ballinguile.  There was mass emigration from Ballinguile during the famine. I visited Ballinguile last week.

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding.  I am very curious about Ballinguile.  Can you provide additional information about it:  size of this townland, description, and anything else that is interesting about it.

Jackie

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie, I think your Doyles might also be from Ballinguile. Baptisms. Hacketstown.

possible relatives.  Sept 1833 James parents Pat Doyle/Dolly Cullen sponsors James Byrne Catherine Morrison.
Oct 22 1832 Catherine parents Daniel Farrell Ann Fox sponsor MATHEW Cullen/Betty Fox.

Griffiths valuations.
John Culllen Ballinguile
John Cullen ballinguile Hill,
Denis Cullen, Ballinguile,
Denis Cullen, Ballinguile Hill.
George Doyle Ballinguile.
George Doyle, Ballinguile Hill.
William Doyle Ballinguile.

In the 1911 census my gr.grandmother's brother was still alive, in his seventies,
and living in Ballinguile with his niece Mary Doyle aged 30.

I haven't got it to hand now but I have a list of the names of the families in Ballinguile in the 1800's I will send to you.I visited a lady there who is fifth generation.  Both my gr.grandmothers were from Ballinguile, Kate Hinch and Bridget Byrne they were from both sides of the fence one  COI one RC.   if you want you can send me an email address.

Offline fia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 13:54 BST (UK) »

I have just found cullens related to me and I wonder are they the same family they are from a place called Carrig a Curra in wicklow my gg grandfather was john cullenand was born I think 1854 : :Dfia

Offline jro001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 14:11 BST (UK) »
Eneclann Ltd. sent me the following baptismal register as I was looking for information on Catherine Cullen.  Although, it may not be my Catherine as the baby's name is Margaret, it could be that her name was Margaret Catherine, and they called her Catherine because her mother's name was Margaret.

"On 2nd October 1828 Baptised Margaret of John Cullen and Margaret Gortland of Carrigaghroe.  The Godparents were James Cullen and Mary Cullen."

"On 31st December 1830 Baptised John of John Cullen and Margaret Gortlan of Carrigacroe.  The Godparents were Matthew Gortlan and Margaret Fogarty."

My Cullen family migrated to the U.S. around 1850.  However, some of their family most likely stayed behind in Wicklow.

Offline fia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
                                                                                                                                                                              My anna cullen married patrick brophy and some of their children went to the us but I have only just begun to look at this side of the family and I have no local information because they seemed tto have disappeared but happy searching anyway  :Fia ???