Author Topic: SS Great Britain Passenger Lists  (Read 7760 times)

Offline romak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SS Great Britain Passenger Lists
« on: Thursday 17 February 11 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I believe a Annie Caffery came to Australia in about 1869 on the SS Great Britain.  Would someone be able to look it up for me please and let me know if that is correct and if there is any other info on her?
Thanks
Robyn

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: SS Great Britain Passenger Lists
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 11 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I can tell you where the SS Great Britain is now Robyn,in Bristol in the very same dock she was launched from.I've been aboard several times.
Lots of info here.

http://www.ssgreatbritain.org/ -

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 February 11 14:30 GMT (UK) »
The Great Britain seems to have arrived a couple times in Melbourne in 1869 - I'm not seeing her on either the assisted or unassisted immigration indexes at: http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide023/PROVguide023.jsp on any ship, though.

Do you have a bit more info about Annie? e.g. how old would she have been, are there any other names she might have been using, who might she have been travelling with, where in Australia she settled, etc.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 11 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Jorose, it looks like Annie married James KENNEY in 1872 in Perth, WA, and died there in 1889 aged 37.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 February 11 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi romak,

Do you have her death certificate?  Though not always completely accurate, it should give info on the time she lived in each state and at least give you an idea of whether she might have arrived directly into WA.

Did you know that there is a good chance that she had a sister Elizabeth with her?

Debra  :)

Offline romak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 February 11 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying.
Annie Teresa Caffery was born about 1852 and no I haven't got her death cert yet as I can see on the WA website that it doesn't include her parents names or where she was born.   Her parents were Patrick and Catherine and I think he was a grocer.
Regards
Robyn

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 February 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Passenger arrival lists show an Ann & Eliza CAFFERY as follows:

CAFFERY Ann Miss age 22yrs arrived 26/7/1869 onboard the 'Hastings' departing London & arriving Freemantle #Acc115/110

CAFFERY Eliza Miss age 23yrs occ Childs maid arrived 14/1/1868 onboard the 'Tartar' departing Gravesend & arriving Freemantle #Acc115/104

Offline cindykell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 February 11 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robyn. I am replying to a PM email from you....for some reason I can't reply so am doing it this way. I don't think your Patrick is related to my branch of the family. At least not that I am aware of. My Patrick was married to Bridget and lived in Cavan. My direct link is James Edward Caffrey, who came to America about 1830, first in Philadelphia and then in San Francisco. Wish I could help.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 February 11 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I have a book with the names and details of all the passengers on the SS Great Britain between 1852-1875.

There is only one entry with the surname you're researching and that is:

John Caffery, age 21, Irish, Labourer.

He sailed from Liverpool to Melbourne, leaving on 15th Dec 1867. The journey took 57 days and there were 512 passengers on board.

Probably of no help to you but then again, it is the same surname and may be. :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk