Author Topic: AMPHLETT surname in Worcestershire  (Read 27976 times)

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AMPHLETT surname in Worcestershire
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 26 January 06 21:40 GMT (UK) »
sorry that was on the 1851 cenus return   :-[

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 26 January 06 22:23 GMT (UK) »
EBN,
Thanks very much for all this.  I need to discover as much as I can about this AMPHLETT family in Worcs before I can decide whether any of that family might have migrated up to North-West England.  It really is needle in a haystack time with these two Mary Amphlett individuals, one marrying in Saddleworth in 1791, and another marrying in Ashton-U-Lyne in 1792.  I am convinced one of them is the reason that William Amphlett DYSON was baptised (where? when? circa 1794/5) with that unusual middle name...
Keith

Offline mahanrahan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 March 06 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My G-Grandmother was friends of a Lady Amphlett who lived at Amphlett House in Bromsgrove.  Amphlett House is still standing and is at the back of St. John's Nursing Home.

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 March 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mahanrahan,
Now that's very interesting indeed, certainly gives the idea that Bromsgrove was the main centre of the name AMPHLETT, and still puzzling me how the name became so thinly spread in Yorks and Lancs later on.  A friend of mine is at this moment trawling through the Saddleworth parish records to try and discover other AMPHLETT individuals apart from Mary AMPHLETT...
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 March 06 17:33 BST (UK) »

There was an Amphlett fighting at the Battle of Worcester in the English Civil War.
Don't know which side he was on  :-[

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 30 March 06 17:41 BST (UK) »
Fascinating, EBN,
And more grist to the mill.  Presumably he survived, or had more brothers who carried on the AMPHLETT name in Worcestershire!
Keith

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 30 March 06 17:44 BST (UK) »

Possibly worth writing to the Worcestershire Historical Society to see what they have on the family, especially as John Amphlett was such a great contributor to their transactions.

Offline damphlett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 02 February 07 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Being an Amphlett myself I always been interested in the names roots, but never found the time to research our family tree.

My father has done lots of work on it but hit something of a brick wall - which will only be scaled with extensive leg work through the parish records. I guess this is the bit that sorts the men from the boys! Anyway, my father has moved abroad now which makes it that much harder to wonder around the West Midlands researching Amphletts.

Being a father myself now (doing my bit to continue the name) has me interested in the family tree and I'm tempted to take up the baton from my father. However, my approach is a little different...

I've owned www.amphlett.net for quite some time, and realised it could be the ideal place to pull together the details of the records that all the Amphlett family researches are coming across. There must be so much duplicated effort going on that it makes me dizzy.

I've created a free forum on www.amphlett.net for now, but I'm really interested in creating some sort of database of records that people can use as a research tool.

I'm very aware that sharing trees is different to sharing research. My father always stresses that some people are happy to make assumptions about family links that he isn't. To be content that a link is real his 'threshold' of proof is (he believes) higher than some others. So he's always very careful not to take other peoples trees at face value. A fair point I guess. This is what set me thinking about sharing research rather than trees. If we share the fundamental evidence that we uncover, then we're each in a position to draw our own conclusions.

As a software developer by trade I'll certainly be able to build whatever would be needed. However as I've very little experience in researching family trees I'm not sure what information we will need to store, and how best to present it.

So - please check out
  http://www.amphlett.net/genealogy.aspx

cross post any enquiries there on the basis that there's a good chance living Amphlett's will come across it and may be able to respond. But most of all give me your comments about what you think the ideal Genealogy Research Database would look like, and I'll have a go at putting one together.

regards,

Dave Amphlett
Note - portions of this post appear on that forum to get the conversation going.

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 02 February 07 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Dave,
This all looks brilliant and most promising!  I've just spotted your post come up, but it's past midnight where I am, and I'm just about heading to bed.  But I'll certainly have a good look through your well-organised sites and links; when I've got a fresh brain in the morning.  And will come back with comments and questions, no doubt...
Very many thanks,
keith