Author Topic: AMPHLETT surname in Worcestershire  (Read 27975 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: AMPHLETT surname in Worcestershire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 April 05 23:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Sue,
I've never thought of trying that - I'll have a go myself now and see who those 8 individuals are...
And Arranroots, It's the first time that I've realised that Family Trees might involve pears - unless of course we're talking Family History Conferences...
Keith

Offline jadedoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 October 05 05:22 BST (UK) »
I have a Mary Amphlett who was christened in 1766 in roseley, Shropshire not Worcestershire. She married Edward Brown/e in Shropshire.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 October 05 09:30 BST (UK) »
Jade,
Thanks so much for responding to my query - this is the first reply on this thread for over 4 months, and I was wondering whether it was all dying a death.  Your Mary Amphlett would have been born at the right time to fit in with the Dyson family - I don't suppose she married again after tying the knot with Mr Brown/e?
I see on another posting that your are researching the AMPHLETT surname - do they ever stray into Lancashire?
William AMPHLETT Dyson was apparently born at Ashton-Under-Lyne in 1795, though the only possible baptism I have found for him so far is for the same year at Manchester Cathedral.
And welcome to Rootschat, by the way!
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline mjb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 October 05 09:39 BST (UK) »
I just happened upon this by mistake.

I am trying to find an Amelia Amphlett born (c)1882 without much success I might add.

Apparently she married quite late in Gloucestershire but can find no trace.

Not much to go on but I just spotted the name

MJB
Researching Bunyan  Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire.  Blakes of Winslow and Marsh Gibbon, Chatteris, London, Nottingham
Gadd of Worthing
Doxsey of London

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 October 05 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi MJB

How sure are you that her first name is Amelia?  This was often shortened to Milly and there is a Mildred AMPHLETT that would fit in Gloucester in 1901. Ref RG13/2430   197   30.

She is one of several sisters - let me know if you would like the details.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline jadedoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 October 05 11:53 BST (UK) »
Since making the first post a few hours ago I have searched Mary Amphlett's family back to the 1670's. None of my Amphlett ancesters strayed out of Broseley, but as for their dscendents I dont know. I am going to search more on this tomorrow, to see if I can make some connection.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 October 05 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time and trouble over this, Jade...
Keith

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Although I have no AMPHLETTs, there was a Rev. Joseph AMPHLETT in Kings Norton recorded on the1838 Tithe map.  Described as a "croft" the property was owned by the Bishop of Rochester as part of the vicarial glebe!

I have a Benjamin HANDS also under his lordship, but on the other side of the road.  This all comes about, I think, because the Bishop of Rochester, was Dean of Worcester and Vicar of St. John's, Bromsgrove. (A nice little earner if you can get it.  Hence half starved curates!)

Regards

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mike,
This really is quite a amazing, as James Greaves DYSON, a grandson of William Amphlett DYSON, was married at King's Norton in 1871.  I suppose this has to be some kind of coincidence, no more, but it is remarkable nonetheless.
Thank you so much for bringing the Reverend Joseph AMPHLETT to my notice...
Very best wishes,
Keith