Author Topic: Gaw/Patterson/Kyles/Lusk/Fleck  (Read 12627 times)

Offline Finiston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gaw/Patterson/Kyles/Lusk/Fleck
« on: Friday 18 February 11 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Gaw, my G.Grandmother, married Thomas Skinner, a private in the Queens 16th Lancers, in Belfast in January, 1884. I've been able to trace Thomas right back to 1700 or so, but I can find nothing about Catherine except that her father was called Adam Gaw.

Joseph Patterson and Emily Kyles married in Belfast in October 1876. I think Joseph's father was also Joseph, but I can find no trace of Emily except for a record in the 1911 census where she is identified as a 54 year-old widow. I can't find any record of Joseph.

Arthur Lusk and Ellen Fleck (or Flack) were married in June 1865 in Islandmagee 2nd Presbyterian Church. Arthur may have been a seaman and his father was Arthur as well. I've heard through the family that the younger Arthur died at about age 65 with a stroke.  Ellen's father was Robert Fleck, of Islandmagee.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or help in tracing any or all of these elusive relatives. I called at PRONI two years ago when I was visiting Belfast from Canada but had no luck.

Many thanks.....  Brian
Northern Ireland:  Skinner,  Patterson,  Flack (Fleck),  Lusk,  Gaw,  Green,   Mahon, Kyles,  Reid.

Leicestershire:  Skinner,  Hickling, Dobney, Wells.

London area:  Mihill.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gaw/Patterson/Kyles/Lusk/Fleck
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 February 11 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Emily Kyles' father was William Kyles. Also may be in 1901 census in Lebanon St, Clifton, Co. Antrim, a 44 year old widow with some of her children.
   I can also find a marriage of Adam Gaw and Eliza Reid in Lisburn 1st Presbyterian Church on 10 Oct 1872 but I cannot prove he is yours.

Regards

Correction. Adam Gaw's marriage date should read 1852
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 February 11 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Finiston,  Certainly Arthur Lusk , father Arthur's marriage record is listed on:

http://www.ancestryireland.com/index.php?ai_home

This will give his occupation and that of his father and quite a bit more information.

I think you will find Joseph Patterson's marriage there as well and you can check it by cross referencing his and the bride's names.

On the same site, if you go to the marriage section and just put the surname Gaw in the box and then the name Adam in the father's name, you will find a number of names, some of them may be Catherine's siblings.
Well worth the £4 you pay for each record.  It will help you get a bit farther back.  Let us know if we can help any further.  RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 February 11 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Children of Arthur Lusk and Ellen Fleck are listed in LDS database. Would be worth checking for all those names if you haven't done so already.
https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 February 11 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Finiston
I have proved that Adam Gaw of that marriage to Eliza Reid is yours.  Adam was an engine driver who lived in 51 Hillview Street, Belfast when Catherine (Kate) married.  I have her brother James,s birth here father Adam Gaw, mother Eliza Reid, at 52 Hillview Street but can't find Catherine (Kate)'s birth as it was before Civil Registration.  I will send you the details by PM.  RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 February 11 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   As well as the brother, James born 1876, there were two sisters, Sarah Jane Gaw, one in 1872 who I assume died young and the second in 1873.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Finiston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 February 11 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much. Kingkerswell, that is my g.grandmother on Lebanon Street in the 1901 census and the Gaw/Reid marriage, in 1852, is that of my g.grandparents.

RosemaryJoan, although we've communicated privately, thanks again for all your help.

And aghadowey, you very kindly directed me to that same link when I asked for help several months ago and it was very helpful, so thanks again.

I think you're all wonderful!                                           Brian
Northern Ireland:  Skinner,  Patterson,  Flack (Fleck),  Lusk,  Gaw,  Green,   Mahon, Kyles,  Reid.

Leicestershire:  Skinner,  Hickling, Dobney, Wells.

London area:  Mihill.

Offline Sooneratsaxpn1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian, 
I am very interested in any research you may have compiled about Catherine Gaw/Skinner.  My Great-Grand Mother Essie Billinghurst was the granddaughter of Catherine Gaw Skinner and Thomas Skinner.  If I am correct, the marriage of Catherine Gaw and Thomas Skinner produced another daughter named Catherine Gaw Skinner who married a gentleman named Alfred Thomas Billinghurst (a copy of their marriage certificate can be found on ancestory.com for a price).  The marriage produced a number of daughters who settled in Clifton, Co Antrim including my Great Grand mother Essie. (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton/Southport_Street/147090/).  My Great Grandmother Essie Billinghurst married a man named William Thomas Fulton who was the caretaker of the students union at Queens University-Belfast for many years.  They passed away in the 50's and 60's respectively.  A picture of their grave can be found on billiongraves.com (http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/William-Thomas-Fulton/5082375).  I am very grateful if you could share any information you possibly have and am very excited to learn from you have presented on this site.  I am interested if you have any information on the Billinghurst or Fulton families as well. I live in the United States currently and my father is from Northern Ireland so first-hand research is of course a geographic obstacle for me.  Thank you so much for your time.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I thinks there might be a bit of confusion here.

My Great Grandmother Essie Billinghurst married a man named William Thomas Fulton who was the caretaker of the students union at Queens University-Belfast for many years.  They passed away in the 50's and 60's respectively.  A picture of their grave can be found on billiongraves.com (http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/William-Thomas-Fulton/5082375).

The gravestone clearly shows William Fulton's wife as Maud and the Will Extract lists her as Matilda (Matilda and Maud are both forms of the same name and can be used interchangeably)-
Fulton William Thomas of 40 Knockbreda Road Belfast retired superintendent students' union died 12 October 1955 Probate Belfast 5 January to Matilda Fulton the widow. Effects £3558 7s. 11d.
GRONI's death index gives their ages-
William Fulton, age 63, died 12 Oct.1955 Belfast district
Matilda Fulton, age 68, died 27 Nov.1960 Newtownards district

Their marriage record confirms that this is the same couple- 7 Jan.1914 Belfast district, William Thomas Fulton & Matilda Bellinghurst

Here's Matilda Billinghurst in the 1911 census with her father Alfred Thomas Bellinghurst, a widower, and siblings (note there is a younger sister Essie A.)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Clifton/Southport_Street/147090

Same household in 1901 census with Matilda's mother Essie A. alive-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Clifton/Rosewood/963034

Matilda's father Alfred Thomas Billinghurst married 27 Sept.1917 Belfast district to a widow, Catherine Skinner. She was the widow of Thomas Skinner and is buried with her first husband.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!