Author Topic: Wilson Family  (Read 4161 times)

Offline dorie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wilson Family
« on: Thursday 22 December 05 23:53 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me, I have  found that my great-grandfather Thomas Wilson was born in Sligo (1864) his parents were Edward Wilson and Ellen Wilson m.s. McIllroy but I can find no trace of any of the family in Sligo. I paid to have two searches done by the records office in Sligo and they couldn't find any record of them. They moved to Glasgow between 1864 and 1871, the reason I know this is I have them on the 1871 census living in Glasgow but they are not on the 1861 census and my great-grandfather Thomas is down on the 1871 census aged 7 and his birthplace is down as Sligo, he has 3 brothers and four sisters and they all have birthplace down as Sligo. Can anyone help me find out if there is any record of them in Sligo it would be much appreciated. Also is there any way of finding what year they moved to Scotland from Ireland.

Offline dorie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wilson Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I always thought my family had always come from Scotland until I started my family history research and then found that my ancestors on my dads side came over from Ireland. When researching my great-grandfather Thomas Wilson I couldn't find a birth for him anywhere in Scotland, I managed to get some details from his Merchant Navy records and he had Glasgow 1864 down as his birthplace and birthdate but still nothing although I found that his parents came from Ireland. Once I managed to get the 1871 all became clear the whole family had birthplace down as Sligo Ireland so I twice paid for searches to be done by the Sligo records office and they could find nothing regarding the family so does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do next. These are the details of the family on the 1871 census for Glasgow (all have birthplace Sligo) Edward Wilson age 54 occupation Mason, Ellen Wilson (m.s. McIlroy) age 46, Edward Wilson son age 25 occupation Mason, James Wilson son age 17,Joseph Wilson son age 12, Thomas Wilson son age 7, Margaret Wilson daughter age 19, Sarah Wilson daughter age 15, Ellen Wilson daughter age 10, and Catherine Wilson daughter age 8. When looking something up once for Edward Snr. I saw mention of County Mayo so maybe he came from there but they all definitely have Sligo down as birthplace, can anyone help as I can get no further.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson Family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 06 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dorie

The following resources may be of help to you.

The General Register Office of Ireland

The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland

Irish Roots

The National Library of Ireland

Irish Genealogy

Genealogical Society of Ireland

Irish Ancestors

National Archives of Ireland

Perhaps you would like to have a look at these resources to see if there is anything that might help you.

Please come back with any further queries or to let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dorie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson Family
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticker

Thanks for the info will take notes and see what I can find. As I mentioned I paid for two searches to be done by Sligo Heritage Centre and they found nothing but the other day I saw an entry on the LDS site for a Thomas Wilson born Coolaney, Sligo on 6th September 1864 with parents Edward Wilson and Ellen McIlroy so that is definitely him, the entry came from the quarterly returns of births in Ireland 1864-1955 Ireland General Register Office with the number 0533. I e-mailed the Sligo centre to ask if they could check this and they told me they only hold the births from church records so I have e-mailed the Ireland General Register Office to ask if its possible they have a copy of the birth certificate. I will let you know if I hear anything from them. The whole family moved to Glasgow from Sligo and I have narrowed the date they came  to between 1864 and 1866 do you know of any way of finding out exactly how and when they came. I have the poor relief records for Thomas's father Edward for 1878 in Glasgow and there is mention of a daughter Mary-Ann (age33) who is married to a James Gardner (blacksmith) and they are still living in Sligo, is there any way I can access 1881 census for that year online.  Thanks again for the info.  Best Wishes  Dorie.