Author Topic: Boyd family  (Read 7023 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Boyd family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 January 20 11:57 GMT (UK) »

The family lived in Cooldrumman which is just northwest of Drumcliffe.

Cooldrumman Upper townland and Cooldrumman Lower just west of it are about
4kms north of Drumcliffe church and cemetery.
https://www.townlands.ie/sligo/carbury/drumcliff/lissadill-east/cooldrumman-upper/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 January 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »
My brother and I planning a trip to Ireland probably 16-23rd April and planned to stop in Sligo for a couple of days. We would love to meet up with anyone who is interested in sharing some Boyd history with us to try to fill in the gaps.

If you haven’t contacted the genealogy researcher at this centre, it is very well worth it.

County Sligo Heritage and Genealogy Centre
Address: Aras Reddan, Temple St, Abbeyquarter North, Sligo, Ireland
Google it for the phone number.

Contact him/her beforehand and they will produce a preliminary report on your Boyd family when you meet him/her. A voluntary donation will be readily accepted. A friend of my brother had a very successful meeting with the researcher and obtained a lot of new information about his family.

If you haven’t been to Drumcliffe church, do visit and view not only the cemeteries but the grave of W B Yeats. There is a large carpark beside it.

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline J70BYD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 January 20 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KG, very useful information and I will contact them before we travel. Jim

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 January 20 13:43 GMT (UK) »

Just to add to the good advice given by KG which will save you a lot of time and effort...there is also the Sligo Library Heritage https://sligolibrary.ie/geneaology/

located in the Church  https://images.app.goo.gl/thuSkdBFhPm2MxJz9

Excellent helpful archivist there too, BUT if you need Graveyard records etc one needs order them from Library archives and view them next day.

If you are visiting Cemeteries in area do not leave valuables on view in car!   

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 January 20 17:18 GMT (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 January 20 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Residents of a house 15 in Carrigeencor - 1911 census

Carrigeencor townland
https://www.townlands.ie/leitrim/drumahaire/drumlease/cloonlogher/carrigeencor/

KG

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Donutbaker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 06:00 GMT (UK) »
I am also a descendant of the Hazelwood Boyd's. My GG Grandfather was Robert Maxwell Boyd son of Joseph Boyd and Jane Maxwell. One of the Owen Wynne's paid passage for Robert to move to Quebec, Canada with his two siblings and about 150 other people from Sligo.

Am visiting Sligo this summer and would be interested in finding some more info on the Boyd and Maxwell families before I travel. Can anyone recommend a local genealogist?