Author Topic: Susannah Corbett b 1828 Bristol, UK  (Read 2204 times)

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Susannah Corbett b 1828 Bristol, UK
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Susannah Corbett was listed on her son Henry’s birth certificate as aged 31 when he was born in 1859 ( so her birth year 1827-1828) and that she was born in Bristol, England. As she married in Australia in 1847 (to Thomas Matthews age 20 on 26 April 1847 in Wesleyan Methodist Church, Sydney) she must have arrived by ship either alone or with family between her birth year 1828 and 1847. I have had no luck finding her on any shipping lists; can anyone give me some clues please? I need her parents names to then locate her English birth and maybe census records.
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CORBETT, Susan (Susannah) b abt 1827
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 11 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi mcvicars,

A number of Thomas and Susan's children were born after civil registration began in 1856, so any of their birth certificates should give you a place of birth for both parents.  The death certificate would be less reliable, but should tell you whether she had lived in other states if she was an immigrant. 

Debra  :)

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: CORBETT, Susan (Susannah) b abt 1827
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip; just got her son's birth certificate, it states Susannah Corbett was aged 31 when he was born in 1859 ( so her birth year 1827-1828) and that she was born in Bristol, England. As she married in Australia in 1847 I have tried with no luck to find her and her family's arrival from UK somewhere between 1828 and 1847, so that I can confirm which Susannah is her in UK birth or census records. Any clues? ta Sue
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Susannah Corbett b 1828 Bristol, UK
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 15:14 GMT (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this will help the search. A Susannah CORBET was baptised 27.7.1828 St Philip & St Jacob's Bristol Gloucestershire. Parents John & Sarah. Also baptised on the same day were a sister Sarah  brother William.

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, see this info in other posting.

John