Author Topic: george mclean/cotton/tutty  (Read 20066 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: george mclean/cotton/tutty
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 February 11 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 February 11 16:16 GMT (UK) »
i am looking for a marriage date for william cotton and sophia tutty in arklow co wicklow.it is c.o.i. i have tried to look at it from williams side,no success.i think it was before 1896 as they have a 5 yr old daughter vivian in the 1901 irish census.william states he comes from bristol england,occupation blacksmith.any help appreciated.

on the 1911 census Sophia indicates that she has been married about 16 years, which would put the year of marriage about 1895

Sophia and all the children are Wicklow born.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 February 11 16:23 GMT (UK) »
There's only a small number of William Cotton marriages on the BMD Index between 1893 and 1897 and just one in Co. Wicklow :

Name: William Cotton
  Registration district: Rathdrum
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1895
  Volume : 2 / Page : 801

The registration district of Rathdrum covers quite a large part of the county, but does include the town of Arklow. The is a cross-matching reference in the index (same registration district, year/quarter, volume and page numbers) for a Sophia Tutty. A marriage cert will show the full details.

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 February 11 11:28 GMT (UK) »
thanks shane,very helpful,will try and get marriage cert.and work from there,what census would i find frances moorhouse nee agar birth.it would go back to approx 1851.are agars acommon name?
 william tutty no 2 templerainey,kilbride co wicklow age 72, in 1901census,william tutty no 6 templerainey,kilbride, co wicklow age 77 in 1911 census.he died 20-12-1911 age 82 on his headstone.his birth is between 1829 and 1834.besides the griffiths valuation is there any other census that i could find his birth more accurately.i think he was 38when he got married circa 1873,also are they going to release the 1926 census this year? thank you all for your help tom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 February 11 19:34 GMT (UK) »
1) what census would i find frances moorhouse nee agar birth.it would go back to approx 1851.
2) are agars acommon name?
3)
  william tutty......died 20-12-1911 age 82 on his headstone.his birth is between 1829 and 1834.besides the griffiths valuation is there any other census that i could find his birth more accurately.
4) are they going to release the 1926 census this year?

1. There are no surviving census returns before 1901

2. Eager/Agar does not seem to be a common surname. There are a few in Wicklow on Griffiths and also neighbouring counties Kilkenny and Carlow.

3. To find early details for William you would need to research  parish records. To do this you would need to establish which parish he was born in. His marriage cert should include his father's name and occupation which could help you locate him on Griffith's and give you a possible location for William's baptism

4. The 1926 census is closed for 100 years, so currently not due for release until 2026.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
thank you very much for your help.have to do church records,might be awhile for above names, iwill try other family traces.will be back soon with more quests.

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 19:03 GMT (UK) »
just recieved amarriage cert for george mclean sophia cotton.in 1901 census she listed her husband as george cotton.they must have married in1896 or earlier,as they have a child.any help appreciated.                                 
 george alexander mclean married sophia cotton in 1921,she re married,both list their age as full?he lists his father aswilliam mclean,profession plumber.george mclean death cert says he was 60 when he died in1944,making his birth approx1884.i have found a george mclean on 1901 census,right name and age, how can i find his father?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 19:15 GMT (UK) »
1) just recieved a marriage cert for george mclean sophia cotton.

2) in 1901 census she listed her husband as george cotton.they must have married in1896 or earlier,as they have a child.any help appreciated.                               

3) george alexander mclean married sophia cotton in 1921,she re married,both list their age as full?
he lists his father as william mclean, profession plumber.

4) george mclean death cert says he was 60 when he died in1944,making his birth approx1884.

5 ) i have found a george mclean on 1901 census,right name and age, how can i find his father?

I've separated your post into separate questions .. quite difficult to follow otherwise

are questions 1)  and 2) connected ?

Can you give some details of the 1901 census details referred to .. e.g. names, ages, and townland

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline tom-dick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
in 1895 william cotton married sophia tutty,he died about 1902?alive in 1901 census.arklow co wicklow
in 1921 she remarried to george alexander mclean,no age recorded,georges father listed as william mclean,george alex mcleans death cert lists his death in1944 in arklow,age 60,that puts his birth approx 1884.i am looking for georges father,william mclean.sorry about confusion,and thanks,shane,for help tom