Author Topic: Baptism - Clay  (Read 8248 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Baptism - Clay
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Request a lookup for the baptism of Ann Clay, born about 1807 in Oakham.   From the 1841 census, her mother was Ann Clay born about 1768, but her father had died by that time.   I'm trying to confirm Ann's father's name and if possible any siblings.

Thanks, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism - Clay
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 16:41 GMT (UK) »
I have a cover disc from Nov 2009 WDYTYA magazine that contains transcripts of Oakham parish registers done by the Leics & Rutland Family History Society.

Unfortunately there is no record of a Baptism for an Ann Clay around 1807  :-\
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for reply.   Is it possible to see if there was a marriage for an Ann Clay at Oakham late 1700s/early 1800s?   I'd be most obliged if you could also look for a baptism for Ann Clay the elder in Oakham about 1768ish.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davidrigg3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researching for my partner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 February 11 08:59 GMT (UK) »
 :( :(

No marriage for Ann Clay 1754 - 1812 or Mr. Clay to Ann Unknown

No baptism of Ann Clay 1747 - 1812

Only vague possibilities -

7 Feb 1798 Mary Clay Fairchild d/o Ann Fairchild - Base born
27 Feb 1802 Elizabeth Clay Fairchild d/o Ann Fairchild/Edward Clay
5 Aug 1803 Edward Fairchild d/o Ann/Edward Clay - Base born
5 Aug 1803 Edward Clay s/o Edward/Ann Fairchild - Base born

Edward appears twice in the transcript, first as d/o then as s/o with the parents names switched around. Could be a different incumbent than the first two who has a different way of recording things and d/o is a mistake either in the register or in the transcript?

Perhaps Edward Clay and Ann Fairchild did go on to have another daughter Ann and the Vicar refused to baptise another base born child so they went somewhere else or maybe they just didn't have her baptised?
Rigg/Scholfield - Oldham/Rochdale
Hibbert/Moore - Hayfield/Saddleworth
Garstang/Kirby - Littleborough/Todmorden
Sutcliffe/Hill - Todmorden/Walsden
Young/Stevenson/Newbutt - Ticknall/Kegworth/Nutall/Hucknall/Bulwell
Woolley/Potter, Gaze/Parkins - Kegworth/Normanton-on-Soar/Wheathampstead/Harpenden
Smith/Green - Offley/Flamstead

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 February 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »
OK thank you very much for trying.

Dave

Offline eus5805

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 September 12 09:38 BST (UK) »
I know it's a long time since you posted this request, but I have some useful information for you on this family.  My ancestor Edward Clay married Ann Fairchild, a widow, on 19 November 1804 at Thornhaugh, Northamptonshire after having had at least 4 "base born" with her.  Mary, Eilzabeth and Edward were registered in Oakham as listed in this forum, but we found an Ann Clay registered as the daughter of Ann Clay christened 20 November 1798 in Braunston Rutland.  This is the only Ann daughter of Edward and/or Ann Clay that we can find.  Mary is my ancestor and married John Jackson.  Elizabeth married Joseph Langston, but I don't know if Ann ever married.  Certainly she was single in 1831 when her father Edward died.  I have a copy and transcript of Edward's will if you would like a copy.  Ann Fairchild's maiden name according to my notes - which I haven't looked at for years - was Ann Casterton, although it seems to have been mistranscribed on the IGI entry for her first marriage as "Curston".  She firstly married William Fairchild on 23 November 1790 at Ashwell, Rutland.  Hope this helps.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 September 12 12:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat and Rutland.   Thank you for your reply it looks very promising.   I'd love to have a copy of Edward's will and I'll try and send you a personal message with my e-mail address.   

Regards, Dave

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 September 12 15:44 BST (UK) »
According to my records, Ann Clay married Samuel Adcock Mawby, 17 Oct 1833 at Oakham.   Their son, Samuel Edward Mawby, according to various census records, was born about 1837 in Oakham and died 17 Feb 1887 in Oakham.   Note second name, Edward.  Ann Clay was buried 7 Jul 1862 and her husband died 8 Aug 1864 both at Oakham.

Dave

Offline eus5805

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 September 12 20:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are right Dave - another contact has put me right re Ann Clay's marriage.  And she has her mother living with her on 1841 census.  Thanks for the burial information too.