Author Topic: DUDLEY, PARKER AND WHITE (and a few others!)  (Read 8571 times)

Offline alliegwuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DUDLEY, PARKER AND WHITE (and a few others!)
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for information about the Dudley, Parker and White families.

I have the following information:

1. Late 1700s early 1800s - William and Margaret DUDLEY (believed to be of Bantry) had 4 children - William, Margaret, Jane and Elijah (or Eleazah).

Elijah is believed to have emigrated to USA (Texas)

The romantic family story is that these Dudleys were the descents of the same line as Sir Guilford Dudley (husband of Lady Jane Grey) and the Dukes of Northumberland (originating from Sir William Dudley of Clapton - 1100AD)

2. Jane married a William PARKER and had 8 children of whom 5 survived to adulthood - Mary (aka Minnie) Dudley Parker, Kate Dudley Parker (dob abt 1860), Margaret Dudley Parker, Frances (Fanny) Dudley Parker and Ellen Dudley Parker. The three infant deaths were 2 girls and a boy. All children were born in Co Cork - Dingle (?) is mentioned.

3. Minnie Dudley Parker married a William BRIDGER (dob abt 1864 at Castleton, Cork - parents John Bridger and Mary JACQUES - is shown as on HMS Impregnable at Devonport in 1881 and so probable RN) and they ended up in Suffolk, England where they had 4 children - Mary Jane Jacques Bridger (dob abt 1889 in Devonport), Alfred John Bridger (15/4/1895), Victoria Winifred Bridger (abt 1897) and William Bridger (abt 1900). Minnie was my 3rd great Aunt by marriage (it gets a bit confusing later on with 2nd cousins Ron and Patricia marrying - see below)

Kate Dudley Parker married a Charles William Akehurst (born Brighton) had no issue and ended up in Newport, Monmouthshire S Wales.

Margaret Dudley Parker married a Francis Jollow (also shown as on HMS Impregnable in the 1881 census), they ended up in Devonport and had 2 children Frances Laura Kathleen Jollow (dob 8 October 1888) and Charles Jollow. Margaret was my Great Great Grandmother. FLK (my Great Grandmother) ended up in Newport.

Fanny Dudley Parker married a Patrick WHITE and they had at least 1 child - Aileen. I have a photograph of a child believed to be Aileen dated 1913, she is about 3 in the photo which gives an approx dob around 1910. I think Fanny ended up in Newport, S Wales too as my great aunt used to talk about her great aunt Fan.

Ellen married a James BOOTH and they had at least 1 child (name unknown but married a Massingham). The Booths may have ended up in Yorkshire.

4. Mary Jane Jacques Bridger married Bert Henry Edwards and they had 3 sons - Harold (killed 1941 aboard HMS Kelly), Guilford Ronald (aka Ron - my great uncle) and Granville (the only one to have issue).

FLK Jollow married Patrick William Watson (Scotsman, commercial salesman believed to sell ladies underwear) and they had 2 children - John Francis (my grandfather) and Patricia (aka Paddy who married Guilford Ronald above).

Aileen is said to have married a Captain F McKinney and they had at least 3 children Mary, Peter and Evelyn Beth

The Booth child is said to have married a Massingham and they had at least 1 child - Elizabeth L.

If anyone can shed any light on these families I would be truly grateful.

Many thanks

Alison

Offline robthenob

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.robresearch.com
    • View Profile
Re: DUDLEY, PARKER AND WHITE (and a few others!)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 13 22:44 BST (UK) »

Hi Alison

William Parker born abt 1825 son of Matthew, married Jane Dudley on the 4 Dec 1853 at Kilmacabea, Skibbereen Cork, Ireland. Jane was born abt 1830, daughter of George Dudley.
Margaret Parker was born on the 16 April 1864, Dingle, Kerry Ireland.
Frances (Fanny) was born on the 10 Jan 1870 Milltown, Kerry Ireland.
I have no date's for the other children.

Regards
Rob

Hi I'm looking for information about the Dudley, Parker and White families.

I have the following information:

1. Late 1700s early 1800s - William and Margaret DUDLEY (believed to be of Bantry) had 4 children - William, Margaret, Jane and Elijah (or Eleazah).

Elijah is believed to have emigrated to USA (Texas)

The romantic family story is that these Dudleys were the descents of the same line as Sir Guilford Dudley (husband of Lady Jane Grey) and the Dukes of Northumberland (originating from Sir William Dudley of Clapton - 1100AD)

2. Jane married a William PARKER and had 8 children of whom 5 survived to adulthood - Mary (aka Minnie) Dudley Parker, Kate Dudley Parker (dob abt 1860), Margaret Dudley Parker, Frances (Fanny) Dudley Parker and Ellen Dudley Parker. The three infant deaths were 2 girls and a boy. All children were born in Co Cork - Dingle (?) is mentioned.

3. Minnie Dudley Parker married a William BRIDGER (dob abt 1864 at Castleton, Cork - parents John Bridger and Mary JACQUES - is shown as on HMS Impregnable at Devonport in 1881 and so probable RN) and they ended up in Suffolk, England where they had 4 children - Mary Jane Jacques Bridger (dob abt 1889 in Devonport), Alfred John Bridger (15/4/1895), Victoria Winifred Bridger (abt 1897) and William Bridger (abt 1900). Minnie was my 3rd great Aunt by marriage (it gets a bit confusing later on with 2nd cousins Ron and Patricia marrying - see below)

Kate Dudley Parker married a Charles William Akehurst (born Brighton) had no issue and ended up in Newport, Monmouthshire S Wales.

Margaret Dudley Parker married a Francis Jollow (also shown as on HMS Impregnable in the 1881 census), they ended up in Devonport and had 2 children Frances Laura Kathleen Jollow (dob 8 October 1888) and Charles Jollow. Margaret was my Great Great Grandmother. FLK (my Great Grandmother) ended up in Newport.

Fanny Dudley Parker married a Patrick WHITE and they had at least 1 child - Aileen. I have a photograph of a child believed to be Aileen dated 1913, she is about 3 in the photo which gives an approx dob around 1910. I think Fanny ended up in Newport, S Wales too as my great aunt used to talk about her great aunt Fan.

Ellen married a James BOOTH and they had at least 1 child (name unknown but married a Massingham). The Booths may have ended up in Yorkshire.

4. Mary Jane Jacques Bridger married Bert Henry Edwards and they had 3 sons - Harold (killed 1941 aboard HMS Kelly), Guilford Ronald (aka Ron - my great uncle) and Granville (the only one to have issue).

FLK Jollow married Patrick William Watson (Scotsman, commercial salesman believed to sell ladies underwear) and they had 2 children - John Francis (my grandfather) and Patricia (aka Paddy who married Guilford Ronald above).

Aileen is said to have married a Captain F McKinney and they had at least 3 children Mary, Peter and Evelyn Beth

The Booth child is said to have married a Massingham and they had at least 1 child - Elizabeth L.

If anyone can shed any light on these families I would be truly grateful.

Many thanks

Alison
Research into True Crimes.
Family names: Dale, Jones, Lee, Williams, Elsworthy, Parkinson, Martin, Clayden, Harris, Booker, Cole, Renn, Yearsley, Hodge, Smith, Oakley, Goodyer, Melhuish, Sanders, Elliott, Hopkins, Tiler, Fuller, Stacey, Gardiner, Ballard, Rounding, Shaddick, Hodson, Clement, Betteridge, Marshall, and many more.

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 September 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I found some of your Dudleys & Parkers on the brilliant West Cork genealogy site

www.westcorkgenealogy.com

see their family tree  on the site

http://www.westcorkgenealogy.com/Files/WCork/gp3539.html

If you want to search for other names just go into the main site
and go into west cork families  and search the families alphabetically.

A great site with lots of useful information relating to West Cork families.
This site is devised and run by William P.Fahy.

Good luck with the search

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 September 13 23:38 BST (UK) »
 Have you checked the Irish genealogy site.

There is a marriage for Elezear Dudley to Mary Anne Ruddick 19 Nov 1823
He was from the parish of Kilmalkeader which is a few miles west of Dingle and she
was from Dingle.

These Dudleys seemed to move around a bit.  Was the father in the Coastguard or some
similar occupation?

It says Anne Ruddesky  which should be Anne Ruddock of

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/2b22ce0030227

Actual register 

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/k-486-1-2-029.pdf

If you notice on the register - the occupation in most cases was "Water Guard" or Coast guard.

There is also a burial registered for  Eliazar Dudley in Dingle son of Elezar and Mary Anne , he died
Aug 22nd 1825 so was probably the infant son of the  couple  married in 1823.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/k-486-1-2-033.pdf

Mary

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 September 13 08:55 BST (UK) »
Mary

I've searched the Coastguard Establishment Books for the Dingle area at the time of his marriage without any success, but he could have been serving as a Mariner on one of the Revenue Cruisers, so would not be shown. However, in 1834 an Eleazer Dudley entered the Coastguard Service having been nominated from HMS Malabar (ADM 175/97 pdf 49), with a first posting to Copperas Gap on 30 Aug (ADM 175/6 pdf 252). On 1 September 1836 he was removed to Milk Cove in Ireland.

To establish that it is one and the same man you could trace his career using the Establishment Books (ADM 175) to see if you can to tie an event to a place he served (I'm quite happy to do this for you). If it is the same man your next step could be to consult the Ships Musters and Allotment Books for Malabar, but this can only be done in person at the National Archives.

Martin

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 September 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
Martin,  I was only replying to Alison's query, I'm sure she will be delighted with your help.

Very interesting though.   It is amazing from the church registers that the majority of
the fathers had an occupation of Coast Guard or waterman.

Mary

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 September 13 10:17 BST (UK) »
Mary

Sorry, I did a general search using 'Coastguard', and then did not scroll to the start of the thread.

Martin

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 September 13 14:45 BST (UK) »

No bother, I learned something from your reply so thanks for that.

It's all about helping each other and learning at the same time.

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Offline BJA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 November 14 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Are you still looking for the White family? The info I have would suggest Aileen white was born about 1899/1900 and not 1910 - you may feel the info doesn't relate to your family, but just in case.......

I don't know anything of Patrick White's descendants, other than the fact that according to the 1901 census his daughter, Aileen, was born in Africa - possibly South Africa.

The White family come from Bailieborough, Co Cavan, Ireland. A large proportion of the males became clergy - mostly Presbyterian. Patrick's grandfather, also called Patrick was minister at Corglass ( 1st Bailieborough ). Patrick's father, Thomas Robert was also minister here from 1865 to 1906. Was Patrick a missionary? - I don't know.

Patrick's parents were Thomas Robert White ( 3/June/1829  - 25/January/1906 ) and Jane Agnes Roy, from Scotland. They had at least 6 children - George, Verner, William, and Thomas Robert (Rev) - these 4 all went to the USA. There was Patrick Ogilvy (your relative, who went to Africa)  and Isabella Emily who probably remained in Ireland.

You can see the census record  - type Bailieborough - Ancestors/Placeanames and Records into search engine. In the list on the left, look at Corglass 1901 and then in this list look at Corglass.