Author Topic: The YELL family in Hull  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The YELL family in Hull
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 February 11 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon and welcome to the board.
I have found a David Yell living with Millicent in 1911...he is an Insurance Agent but birthplace is given as West Walton Norfolk.
There is also a Frederick Naylor Yell b. 1869 who is a Railway Foreman also living in Hull
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 February 11 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I noticed there are two deaths for a David Yell on Ancestry...1919 whch could be a war death and 1924.
The probate records for David Yell d. 1924 are:

YELL David... of 2, Priory Grove, Gipsyville...Kingston Upon Hull died 8th of December 1924 at The Hull Royal Infirmary. Hull Probate London 3rd of February 1924 to Florence Emily Yell widow. Effects £533 9s. 8d.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 February 11 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Found this on Familysearch.org

William Yell b. 1839 m.  Ann Naylor b. 1840 m/ 29th july 1867 at Holy Trinity Church Hull..Groom's Father..John Naylor

Carol

Offline SIMON6135

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 March 11 20:55 GMT (UK) »
First of all can i say thank you to all of you who replied with advice and suggestions, it's been much appreciated.

I now have a copy of David Yell's birth certificate which does indeed confirm all of the suggestions put forward.

He was born on 06/12/1874 his parents are listed as Frederick Yell and Ann Yell [nee Green] the family home being 3 Wellesley Terrace Hessle Road Hull. Frederick was a railway porter. As was pointed out both the parents died in a short space of time leaving David and his brother Walter as orphans hence the mention in the 1881 census in the Hull workhouse on Anlaby Road. again as was pointed out the name was recorded as Well not Yell. Luckily enough a work colleague knew someone who managed to enhance the image and low and behold a faint pen mark was apparent making the name Well into Yell. David went on to be a skipper in the Hull trawling industry, his career is well documented in the Hull history centre. He married twice, firstly to Edith Boyd and secondly to Florence Keeble [nee Moore], passing away in 1924 which again was verified from records at the Hull history centre.

I've also turned up one or two photo's so if any one out there would like a copy or a copy of the birth certificate I'd be happy to oblige.

Once again many thanks to all of you who replied it really was very much appreciated.

Finally I'd like to record my thanks to the staff at the Hull history centre, an amazing bunch of people who genuinely have an intrest in whatever you need help with.

Simon

BEESTON LEEDS & HULL
WATTS HULL & BEVERLEY
STEPHENSON HULL & BEVERLEY
CLARKSON HULL

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 March 11 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Great result Simon and thanks for the update  :D
Another satisfied customer  ;D ;D ;D
Carol

Offline Leigh Dyer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 March 17 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was going to start by saying that I'm not related to this particular Yell family as far as I know but I am as it turns out connected indirectly and distantly as the daughter of Elizabeth and David Yell (1809–1888), Mary Ann Yell (1836–1916) married into my family.
I'm originally from this same area of Norfolk and am descended from the Yell family, my great-great-grandfather was Mary "Polly" Yell (1859–1934) from Terrington St John, Norfolk and seeing as "Yell" is quite an uncommon name for this area of the Norfolk fenland villages I'm guessing that there must be a family relationship between my Yells the David Yell's family - I just can't find a link to tie them all together?