Author Topic: 1857 sailing UK to US  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1857 sailing UK to US
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor, James Mumford, married Susanna Vaus in London, England on 17 March 1857. At some point in 1857, James owned a butcher shop in Toronto, Canada.  (They remained in Toronto for the rest of their lives.)  I have full details about this couple both before their immigration and after their arrival in Ontario, Canada.

The R Robinson arrived in New York on 22 April 1857, sailing from Liverpool.  Two of the passengers were James and Susan Mumford, from Ireland.  Unfortunately, this James was born c1819.  My James was born in 1826 in Essex; his wife was born in 1829 in Surrey.

I do not see this couple after the sailing.  Everyone on this passenger sheet is shown as "Ireland" (I guess who lived in Ireland, or were born there?).  I tried finding passengers on the U.S. 1860 census, who are listed on the same passenger sheet, and so far cannot find anything to show that some of the passengers were in fact English, not Irish.

Suggestions of how to confirm that these were my ancestors, or how to find out that they weren't would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1857 sailing UK to US
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 18:42 BST (UK) »
I still have not confirmed that the above passenger list was for my ancestors (or proven that it wasn't them).   :-\

I know that James Mumford was in the City of Toronto by 1857:
Inspector of Licenses, City of Toronto, 1857: (page 24, #37)  Butcher's License - James Mumford, Yonge Street
History of Toronto...: "James Mumford...first established on Yonge Street in 1857..."

Some Options
1.  They did sail on the R Robinson but their details were incorrect.
2.  They sailed straight to Canada (or the U.S.) and we may or may not eventually find the passenger list.
3.  James sailed to Canada prior to 1857, lived with his uncle (who did not live in Toronto).  James returned to England for a short time c1857, and then returned to Toronto c1857.

We believe we located James Mumford in 1851 in Stansted, Hertfordshire but we are not positive that it is him.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,638999.0.html

Any help with proving the 1857 passenger record for James and Susan Mumford was not for my ancestors would be gratefully appreciated.  Thank you.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada       Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland       (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)