Author Topic: Stanton's Bakery, Wolverhampton c.1947?  (Read 6876 times)

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Stanton's Bakery, Wolverhampton c.1947?
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Do any rootchatters remember Stanton's Bakery delivering bread around the Merry Hill, Trysull Road area any time before 1950? The van was horse drawn, and I would appreciate any pointers to where I could view a photo, if poss.
giraffe   
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
GARFIELD, Edgbaston and Wolverhampton
JOHNSON, Wolverhampton and Bilston
ATKINS, Wolverhamptonand Bilston

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Stanton's Bakery, Wolverhampton c.1947?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 11 19:30 GMT (UK) »

Stanton's were still doing the rounds when we moved onto the new Warstones Estate development. I remember standing at the bottom of Draycott Close as a very young boy looking at this huge horse standing patiently waiting for the delivery man to finish his delivery before moving on to the next stop.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any pictures of a Stantons cart on the net, although there are plenty of similar vehicles shown.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline momo22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

have you tried the following sites?

blackcountryhistory.org

blackcountrygenealogyand familyhistory.co.uk
Povey/Upton/Bevan/Harvey/Powell/stokes staffs
Fellows/Overfield/Fullwood Wor
Meadows Liverpool
Timbrell Glos

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »

Momo,
Thanks for the links, I had a quick look some time ago, but perhaps I missed out that time.
Tony,
They used to deliver to us when we lived in The Avenue  (off Bhyll's Lane), and one day the driver let my sister and I sit up in the cab! That horse looked  bigger from the ground though!
Health and Safety would have had a fit had they been operating then, I'm sure. Have you any idea where their bakery was, was it local?
I can remember seeing the Dairy somewhere near, but not a bakery.
giraffe
PRICE Edward (c.1860)  Harry PRICE (1891) Frank PRICE (c.1897), Arthur PRICE (1884). Compton, Tettenhall, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 19:11 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately can't remember where the bakery was, but probably Wolverhampton. They definitely had one in Hednesford, but that would just have been to serve the Cannock area. I suppose they could have had satellite bakeries around Wolverhampton to serve local needs.

The only dairy I remember was Midland Couties. I think they had a distribution depot up near the Gunmakers Arms - near the juction of Oxbarn Ave and Trysull Road.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline giraffe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I remember Midland Counties Dairy, Merridale Road I think. As we went past on the bus we could see the conveyor belt with all the bottles moving along.
giraffe

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 13:02 GMT (UK) »
I remember Midland Counties Dairy, Merridale Road I think. As we went past on the bus we could see the conveyor belt with all the bottles moving along.
giraffe

Their main site was actually on the junction of Lea Road and Penn Road giraffe. A white tiled building with massive "picture" windows which were, I believe, to help the belt operators to spot any bottles that hadn't been thoroughly cleaned and so remove them before they got to the filling area.

Tony

Online Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Littleford

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 February 21 12:28 GMT (UK) »
The Stanton's bakery was in Hednesford. There were many shops around the West Midlands. The bakery was sold in the 50s to Allied Bakeries.This is correct as this was my family business.