Author Topic: Coat of Arms  (Read 10712 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of Arms
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 February 11 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Looking at crests (which sit on top of the helmet) there were at least ten different crests used by people with surname Annesley.  I know that there is an extra "s" in the name but it could be relevant.  The indications in the books on crests is that there were at least eleven coats of arms containing these crests but I have no idea what they were.

Having said that you should be aware that around 1900 people were very interested in coats of arms and many people traced one associated with their surname.   Tradesmen at that time often had one of these reproduced in the headings of their invoices and other stationery.

I have the specific case of a saddler in our family who used a coat of arms in this way but we have proved that he was certainly not related to the person to whom the arms belong for at least well over a hundred years. 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hanford

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 February 11 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking for me  ;D

That would explain the headed paper my great gran told us about  :-\ Looks more likely he has made it himself now! Gutted  :-\ :D

Glad it wasn't only my family that used coat of arms like that  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 February 11 17:44 GMT (UK) »
There is no need to be gutted.
As long as your great grandfather's arms were not struck down then they were legally used by prescription.
That is one of the oldest (and most legitimate) ways of acquiring an achievement or coat of arms.

There is no reason why he could not have commissioned a shield or even made one himself to display his device, many individuals and families did, that does not in any way detract from the authenticity of the achievement.

It should also be remembered that though many achievements are shown in the various textbooks thousands are not.
Just because an achievement does not appear in a particular book does not mean there is no right to that achievement.
Cheers
Guy

http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Hanford

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 February 11 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Guy  :)

It would be nice to find out the origin of the coat of arms somehow!  :)

Offline Temic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 13:31 GMT (UK) »
There is no need to be gutted.
As long as your great grandfather's arms were not struck down then they were legally used by prescription.
That is one of the oldest (and most legitimate) ways of acquiring an achievement or coat of arms.

Guy - could you just clarify "by prescription" for me: what does that in fact mean in this context?? Thanks.

But further to what you've said, I'd also add that of course the records at the College of Arms aren't themselves complete - they physically were unable to visit every single parish in England and Wales during the period of visitations.
ESSEX Bonnett Burrows Clow (or Clough) Crampin Cressell Deacon Everett Heckford Humphries Missen Midson Pask Richmond Redgewell Tansley Tyler Whiting Wisby
SUFFOLK Brett Byford Chapman Churchyard Clow Coe Dearsley/Derisly Dous Hawes Mutimer Nunn Ransome Raw/Rolllinson Smith (Haverhill) Stollery Stringer Wallis Nunn NOTTS Hook Mills Pollicott
ENGLAND Parchment

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Rachey,

Moving away from academic discussion which this thread has turned into and back to your original question.  Do you have a copy of the coat of arms for which you are searching.

If you can describe them we might be able to help.  Ideally we need a picture or a formal description (called a blazon) but anything would help.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 14:10 GMT (UK) »
By prescription means the use of a coat of arms for three generations, or at least one hundred years.
http://www.genealogymagazine.com/heuseandabof.html

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Temic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Ta very much!
ESSEX Bonnett Burrows Clow (or Clough) Crampin Cressell Deacon Everett Heckford Humphries Missen Midson Pask Richmond Redgewell Tansley Tyler Whiting Wisby
SUFFOLK Brett Byford Chapman Churchyard Clow Coe Dearsley/Derisly Dous Hawes Mutimer Nunn Ransome Raw/Rolllinson Smith (Haverhill) Stollery Stringer Wallis Nunn NOTTS Hook Mills Pollicott
ENGLAND Parchment

Offline Hanford

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Rachey,

Moving away from academic discussion which this thread has turned into and back to your original question.  Do you have a copy of the coat of arms for which you are searching.

If you can describe them we might be able to help.  Ideally we need a picture or a formal description (called a blazon) but anything would help.

Afternoon  :)
I don't have a picture, but I have a rough description of it from what my great gran remembered.... It was green, gold, blue and red, there was a visor or some sort of criss cross type of pattern, and there was a gold lion on one side of it and another animal or bird on the other side.... Does this help at all?  ??? :)