Author Topic: 1851 Easthampstead - Ewins  (Read 9696 times)

Offline hoops

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Easthampstead - Ewins
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 September 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've read with interest your information about the Ewins family.  By coincidence my mum and dad lived in Ewins Close in Ash before I was born.

I noticed that you mentioned that there may be a connection to Ash.  Anyway, I have discovered several Ewins buried in the churchyard of St Peters in Ash.  I've found two headstones (so far) with the following wording (which is quite hard to decipher!):

- In memory of John Ewins who died July 14th 1873 aged 88.  Also of Elizabeth his wife who died Nov 29th 1855 aged 55.  Also of their children Eliza, Ann, James, John, Sarah, Emma and Ellen. 
There is also a Charlotte mentioned at the foot of the headstone but that is all I can decipher

- Mary Ewins who departed this life February 2nd 1887 in her 64th year.

I don't know if there is a connection to the Ewins family you are researching but I thought you might like to know.
Good luck with your research!
Craig

Offline TimEwins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 September 11 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig

Thanks for the information. 

We have since found out that Ewins Close is named after the Ewins that used to own the land there.  The Museum on the site gave us (myself and other fellow Ewins') the information.

I have visited the Cemetery myself and seen some graves, althiught I think there are couple more that I've not seen yet.

I live reasonably close to Ash, so can always pay another visit.

Are you yourself realted to a Ewins ?  That would be really interesting if you were realted to teh Ewins family and still living in Ash.

Currently in contact with two other Ewins' in my tree, goiung back to 1850 now.  Still Searching....

Regards

Tim

Offline hoops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 September 11 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim

I'm not related to a Ewins (as far as I'm aware) but have lived in or around Ash all my life.  I have a keen interest in local and family history and recalled seeing the Ewins headstones in the St Peters churchyard.

I hope the search keeps going well and good luck when you get to pre 1837!

Regards
Craig

Offline Boltonboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 June 12 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim

I too am also a decedent of James Ewins & Maria Deadman via their eldest son James.

I think I may know who Maudmuch is.  Although James Ewins's children were all born in Easthampstead his eldest son George is listed as being born in Finchampstead.  Any knowledge as to why?

Offline Boltonboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 June 12 14:36 BST (UK) »
Found a very interesting site that has photos of Ewins Family Grave stones in Ash.

Plus Frederick Blizzard's grave (Son of Charlotte Ewins) where a Mary Ewins is also buried:

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemetery.php?cemetery=1368

Offline Boltonboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 June 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
Found this info on an Emma Ewins who I believe is the same Emma listed as the daughter of George Ewins b. Jun 1797 in Ash.
"Emma Ewins1,2
F, #16852, b. circa 1835, d. 23 December 1916
      Her married name was Slyfield.1 Emma Ewins was born circa 1835 at Binfield, Berkshire England.1 She married John Round Slyfield, son of John Slyfield and Sarah Emma Griffiths, in 1860; and his marriage was recorded at Windsor record office in the September quarter 1860.1,2 Emma Ewins appeared on the census of 7 April 1861 at Easthampstead, Berkshire England, as Wife, age 26, birthplace Binfield, Berkshire.1 She appeared on the census of 2 April 1871 at Reigate, Surrey England, as Emma Round, wife, age 36, birthplace Binfield, Berkshire.3 She appeared on the census of 3 April 1881 at Amen Corner, Binfield, Berkshire England, as Emily Slyfield, head, widow, age 45, birthplace Easthampstead, Berkshire.4 She appeared on the census of 5 April 1891 at Binfield, Berkshire England, as Head, widow, age 60, birthplace Binfield, Berkshire.5 She died on 23 December 1916 at Nine Mile Ride, Wokingham, Berkshire England; and her death was recorded at Wokingham record office in the December quarter 1916.6,7 Her estate was probated on 1 May 1917; Slyfield Emma of Nine Mile Ride Wokingham Berkshire widow died 23 December 1916 Probate London 1 May 1916to John Round Slyfield cowman and George Slyfield carman
Effects £106 8s.7"
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~macculloch/p277.htm#i16852

Offline TimEwins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 June 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello

Please to meet another member of the tree

I am still searching .... but have been busy of late

I will read through all the Info yiu provided, thanks.

This Post has been very succesful, I myself found two members of this tree discussing the Ewins Family here

Offline Boltonboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 June 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
1861/George Ewins/Cattle Dealer/31/Easthampstead, Berks/Census ***
1861/Elizabeth Ewins/Wife/29/Barkham, Berks/Census
1861/Harriet Moorcock/Visitor, Independent/69/Cookham, Berks/Census
1861/Richard Brown/Boarder, Labourer/30/Aldershot, Hants/Census

http://deadpubs.co.uk/Berkshire/Wokingham/CrookedBillet.shtml

George's wife would be Elizabeth Moorcock.

Offline TimEwins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 June 12 16:56 BST (UK) »
I have eaten and had beers in the Crooked Billet :0)  Its near my workplace