Author Topic: Historical TV Programs (Title changed from Larkrise etc)  (Read 14941 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Larkrise to Candleford & Downton Abbey & other TV programs :)
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 26 February 11 11:54 GMT (UK) »
 ... unsure exactly as I'm very untechnically minded ...  ;D

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 26 February 11 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Can't you get the BBC Boxed Sets in Australia ?  All the ones I mentioned were available in boxed sets.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 26 February 11 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes, eventually many of them can be purchased in sets.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone seen Marchlands?

http://www.itv.com/dramapremieres/marchlands/

Is it any good?  ;D

[Daisy, I have just finished watching both the first and second series of "Garrow's Law". Absolutely loved it! You must get hold of it!  There is a third series scheduled for 2011.  ;D I think I could easily develop a bit of an obsession ... oops, too late - I already have done.  As an added bonus, it also appeals to the boys - my OH loved it too.]

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Re: Historical TV Programs (Title changed from Larkrise etc)
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 10:16 GMT (UK) »
That looks very intriguing! (What a great idea for a story!)

Haven't had a chance to look up any of these yet...but I turn the big 40 in April...I shall begin a list I think, and drop hints to my dear family! hehe

Changed the subject title again...it's nice to have all these programs in one thread.

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Great idea to change the subject again Daisy.  ;D Then there can be no complaints of going off topic.

Happy birthday for April if it slips past without you mentioning it.  ;) Great idea to get a list of essential DVD's on that birthday list.

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Great idea to change the subject again Daisy.  ;D Then there can be no complaints of going off topic.

Happy birthday for April if it slips past without you mentioning it.  ;) Great idea to get a list of essential DVD's on that birthday list.

hehehe going off topic??  Whenever does that happen??  Did you see the King's Speech yet?  I still haven't managed to go see it...I love all these historical movies/tv series. Especially when they have been researched well.
So, TV series that we have to watch are:

Marchlands (1960-present)
Garrow's Law
Cranford, and Return to Cranford
Little Dorit

I have one for anyone with Irish ancestors:
The Hanging Gale (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111995/) - and for that matter, anyone interested in Irish history.  Very good, and at times, quite hard to watch.

Why oh why does the screen keep bobbing up and down!
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 12:53 GMT (UK) »

hehehe going off topic??  Whenever does that happen??  Did you see the King's Speech yet?  I still haven't managed to go see it...I love all these historical movies/tv series. Especially when they have been researched well.
So, TV series that we have to watch are:

Marchlands (1960-present)
Garrow's Law
Cranford, and Return to Cranford
Little Dorrit
Upstairs Downstairs (new series)
Downton Abbey
All of the 'Lark Rise to Candleford's  ;)
I am also watching 'South Riding' - which I'm finding enjoyable if a little predictable (it's only a three parter)
Have just ordered 'North and South' from Amazon which gets very good reviews.  ;)

I have one for anyone with Irish ancestors:
The Hanging Gale (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111995/) - and for that matter, anyone interested in Irish history.  Very good, and at times, quite hard to watch.

Why oh why does the screen keep bobbing up and down!

How frustrating - I know how to fix the bobbing screen --- but I've forgotten.  :( Ah, I think I remember. On the very top bar on your monitor is the space where you write your www address. Beside that is a little icon which looks like a piece of paper which has been torn in half - click on that. Of course that is assuming your pc is set up the same way as mine. (Love my techy language  ;D). When I hover over that icon is says it is "Compatibility View" so maybe you can look for that on your PC. Let me know if it works. Not that I'll be able to help if it doesn't - (I'm just curious  ;))

Thanks for recommending The Hanging Gale! I have Irish ancestors and it looks like something I'd enjoy. I've added it to my must watch list list.

Yes, I loved The King's Speech. It has copped a bit of criticism, but I enjoyed it very much - something different from your run of the mill rubbishy American films.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I loved The King's Speech.

I've just finished reading the book of the same name, by Mark Logue and Peter Conradi.

It's very well worth reading, because it puts the film in context.

For instance, what I didn't get from the film was the fact that its action takes place over about 13 years, from the first consultation until the start of the war. For about 2 years before the abdication and the coronation of George VI there were no consultations at all because his speech was so improved. Logue is depicted as living in a fairly 'ordinary', slightly shabby house, whereas in fact in the early 1930's had moved to a 23 room mansion in several acres of grounds! Also, in his various letters and diaries Logie comes over as very much more deferential towards the royal family than he did in the film.

It doesn't detract at all from the film, though, which I thought was marvellous. 
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk